Fg810 - A Working Title

What people are working on at the moment
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#31 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

Still proceeding, but just about, at glacial speed ... keep being distracted ...

Anyhow, today got the mains side wiring finished, transformer is yet to be hook up .....

Also had to change couple of wires, not long enough.
-
Fg810 Wiring -001.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -001.jpg (145.48 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
-

And I'm using lacing cord. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Cressy Snr »

I loved lacing twine especially for wiring up test jack patch bays in telephone exchanges. Therapeutic and gave a sense of pride in the job. I brought a few reels home when I was made redundant in 1993.

BTW, your tension’s a bit slack. :wink:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#33 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Couple of weeks ago I had to work on some old cabling, relays and switch gear- all the wiring was superb and all laced up better than Bobby Charlton's football boots. I was humbled; fixed the problem too without making too much of a mess!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Dave the bass »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:33 pm
BTW, your tension’s a bit slack. :wink:
^^^ Thats an Audio-Talk diss if ever there was 🤭 Biff him up Mike, I'll hold your pint!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:33 pm BTW, your tension’s a bit slack. :wink:
Probably, only second time I've ever done it. :wink:

Transformer is now wired up, and I made a copper screen to go in between the transformer and left side amp board. Then it was lunch time and YouTube took over ... :lol:

Anyway shouldn't be much left to do now, just the amps' wires, then should be able to do The Great Switch On (after a suitable sacrifice to the magic smoke gods)

Laters .....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

And suddenly it was finished. Last wiring was input screened leads, and quite fiddly.

Pix ...

-
Fg810 Wiring -002.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -002.jpg (171.78 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
-

More lacing cord at the back. Green board on the right is for a 555 timer to flash the front panel LED when speaker relay is off, e.g. start-up delay.
-
Fg810 Wiring -003.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -003.jpg (119.54 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
-

Interior view from the back -
-
Fg810 Wiring -004.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -004.jpg (169.6 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
-

Pot is Tocos Cosmos 100k.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

Detail, left amp board and copper screen - transformer is closerer on that side -
-
Fg810 Wiring -005.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -005.jpg (122.45 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
-

Bottom of case, rubbr feet, and M5 screws into captive nuts to secure chassis -
-
Fg810 Wiring -006.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -006.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
-

Plugged in and making ack-chool noises! Image
-
Fg810 Wiring -007.jpg
Fg810 Wiring -007.jpg (142.19 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

Yeah it's alright! Sounds very smooth. Bass is all there and not flabby. Treble is clean with good detail, and not 'in yer face' with it (what Phil calls 'transistor ear').

Trivia -
Supply Voltage is bang on 45V.
Amps' output DC points bang on 21.5V.
According to the Fluke, there's 3.5 mV of hum, or 'something', on each output, same level. Not audible in speakers. But could just as easily be pick-up in the very long meter leads that I have.
Start up speaker relay delay 10 - 11 seconds. Instant switch off.
Calculated max. output power (not continuous) 25W r.m.s. per channel. Overload detector was set to between 2.5 - 3 A for each amp, this trips the speaker relay control IC. (It will then go into a 10 - 11 seconds delay cycle and flash the front panel LED.)
Each amp's supply also has a 2A fuse type F.
Voltage gain is not a lot, a gnat's over X9. But I already knew that.

I think it can be knighted, arise Sir Goer (it'sa goer)

That about wraps it up then, unless anything crops up.

Next project .....

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#39 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Ray P »

Next!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Dave the bass »

Nearly missed this one.

Shoddy
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#41 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Cressy Snr »

Shoddy indeed! :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#42 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

So it's been used continuously for the last 2 days (my stereo is usually on all day every day, unless I'm out, or asleep :D - it's also used for the soundtrack for YouTube and DVD's)

Playing the same stuff in a random loop, so is well known by now -

I'm hearing things I never heard before. This is usually a good sign.

Oven is beeping, gotta go. I'm having a go at making Polish potato pierogies.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:50 pm

Report necessary on the outcome please.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:13 pm
Mike H wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:50 pm

Report necessary on the outcome please.
Shouldn't have used puff pastry - otherwise, not unpleasant! Needs more cheese and seasoning tho. The instructions were right about use plently of seasoning. I just used salt, black pepper and a bit of garam massala.

:D

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: Fg810 - A Working Title

Post by Mike H »

Just to mention - Fg810 is running fine, it's on all day every day, if not streaming music then audio for videos and DVD's.

Ditto the Kubelic DAC is cosntantly on for music.

I have been repeatedly running a big iTunes shuffle playlist (about 2.5 days' worth, so far :D ), heard it all before natch, some of it going back years (e.g. Jethro Tull, Level 42) ... however, I keep hearing things I''ve not heard before ... :shock:

Playlist is too big to show here (768 tracks and counting) however just as a guide to diversity -

Artist / band / collection -
Julie London - The Very Best Of / Selection (huge!), State Azure, YouTube Audio Library (many various), Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Ron Trent - Cinematic Travels (jazz), David Sanborn - Upfront (jazz), Fonogeri - Letters from Home / Marbles, Gerard Presencer - Groove Travels (jazz), Jakatta - Visions, Keyon Harrold - The Mugician (jazz), Delfeayo Marsalis and the Uptown Jazz Orchestra, Bansangu Orchestra, DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall, Dave Valentin - Land Of The Third Eye, Enigma - MCMXC a.D., dZihan & Kamien - Gran Riserva, Thievery Corporation - It Takes a Thief (best of), Jade Warrior - Way of the Sun, Boann's Clan - Sacred Chant, Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life In the Bush of Ghosts, Cell - Hanging Masses (ambient), Elbow mix (based on iTunes most popular, about 2 CD's worth), Exist Strategy - Dreamcatcher (ambient), Blossom - Blue Balloons / The Longest Journey (ambient), Martyn Bennett - Grit (real world), Seal - Best 1991-2004, Simon Mills - Harmonic Jigsaws Vol 1, Strange Cargo (aka William Orbit) - Hinterland, Level 42 - Level Best, Working for a Nuclear Free City - Businessmen & Ghosts, Kate Bush - Director's Cut, The Moody Blues - Greatest Hits, Swing Out Sister - Somewhere Deep in the Night, Massive Attack - my faves list, Dub Techno list - my faves (19 tracks), Atrium Carceri - Codex, Classic Chillout Albums 1 & 2 (originally 4 CD's worth, but a few ommissions, i.e. my faves)