The cloud.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#46 Re: The cloud.

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:05 am You are wrong.

I have no legally enforceable agreement with nick , he can do what he wants and I would have no recourse . That isn't a contract no matter how much you stretch the definition.
But from your perspective it is a cloud service, which by your definition can not exist. My definition "someone else's computer" is fine with it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#47 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

When you start telling people what there perspective is , you can be fairly sure it is time to stop digging .

It as just occurred to me I've come a long long way since I couldn't speak, had a nurse wipe my bum , had a 1 second short term memory and used to attempt to call my wife my previous girlfriends name .Ain't life brilliant :mrgreen:
Nick
Site Admin

#48 Re: The cloud.

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:21 am When you start telling people what there perspective is , you can be fairly sure it is time to stop digging .
No, in this case I think I am fine, no spade needed. Your perspective in this context, is that of a user of the forum/cloud service on the end of a ip pipe. Nothing more or less than that. If I am in some way wrong in that let me know.

I would think trying to shift the topic is more a sign that digging is ill advised.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#49 Re: The cloud.

Post by Ali Tait »

jack wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:45 am
Ali Tait wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:55 am
jack wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:30 pmSynology FTW...
Yes, been looking at those. Had a Drobo for years which was no trouble until it was. Kaput. Found a cheap one from Cash Generator so I can extract the data as their software is proprietary, it works but one slot is dead so I need to buy another as I’ve no idea how long it’ll last..
Not cheap, but very very good. I use a pair of Synology DS224+ each with 8TB mirrored between two buildings. The mirroring works both ways - all our devices back up to one of them and that then automatically is mirrored to the second. You can do this between two boxes over the internet too.

Many good things about Synology boxes, highly reliable and they all run exactly the same software, so managing them is dead easy.
Thanks, I’ll do some more research.
rowuk
Old Hand

#50 Re: The cloud.

Post by rowuk »

I often why Daniel is so abrasive - maybe just because he can? I also question what difference a contract makes when considering a cloud space to be someone elses computer. In my world it is none. It is still someone elses compiuter (or space running on maybe even a third parties computer - also someone else).

Just because I may have a contract does not make the other computer mine.

In any case, computing is moving ever more quickly to "Client-Host" models where our behaviour and privileges are externally determined and we can cooperate or do without.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#51 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

A contract gives you recourse , stupid.

Ps. Is that abrasive enough 🤣
Nick
Site Admin

#52 Re: The cloud.

Post by Nick »

It may well do, but it doesn't in any way define what a thing is. It may well define how you interact with that thing. Those two things are different. We (i.e. not you) were talking about the first part. You seem upset that we won't talk about the second and keep insisting that we do.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#53 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Please read the thread , you will find you are incorrect .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: The cloud.

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:49 pm Please read the thread , you will find you are incorrect .
I started the thread, and it was about peoples interaction with "the cloud".
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#55 Re: The cloud.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

And your point is ?

And your description of your thread is somewhat lacking. Personally I interpreted it as your habitual prophet of doom onslaught .
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#56 Re: The cloud.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnn zzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzz...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.