Road vehicle fires.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#121 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:27 pm You only surmise what the article in the Times says. Also the article itself may well making assumptions.
Anything is possible. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#122 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:29 pm
Nick wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:27 pm You only surmise what the article in the Times says. Also the article itself may well making assumptions.
Anything is possible. :wink:
No it's not, I can describe things that are impossible.

But that's not the point. You posted speculation. This was pointed out to you and you claimed to not be speculating. I highlighted that by definition referring to something you had not read you were speculating.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#123 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Incorrect.

1. I saw the Times YouTube video about a man being arrested. So I was aware of the fact.

2. Rather than link to the video I linked to the Times web site, which I admitted I could not read.

3.A few minutes later I added to my post a link to the BBC web site which anyone can read.

So, nowhere was I actually speculating, just linking to credible (?) sources of information.

I made no speculation as to why the man was arrested.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#124 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

You know. I don't think I care. You are right. Good for you.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#125 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:57 pm You know. I don't think I care. You are right. Good for you.
Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#126 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Mike H »

Times won't let you look without subscribing.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#127 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

Tony Moore
Old Hand

#128 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Tony Moore »

Looks like that's the 12v battery rather than the main 400v one. Poxy lead-acid thing. There _must_ be a better way than using a lead-acid for the electronics.
Nick
Site Admin

#129 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

Whoever said it was even hybrid. It was just an article about cars that catch fire.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#130 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Tony Moore »

That is true, my bad. Could happen to any ICE car.

But my question (off topic!) still stands as to why BEV need a 12v battery in addition to the main drive battery? Cost maybe? I haven't found a reason that sounds plausible online.
Nick
Site Admin

#131 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

No, I have wondered that. I guess it allows you to bootstrap the car in case of a totally discharged main battery. Equally there was the problem where a discharged 12v battery would disable the EV some time ago. I would have thought a HV to 12v converter would have been simple enough to power any legacy components.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#132 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by pre65 »

Tony Moore wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:40 pm That is true, my bad. Could happen to any ICE car.

But my question (off topic!) still stands as to why BEV need a 12v battery in addition to the main drive battery? Cost maybe? I haven't found a reason that sounds plausible online.
I believe it was the AA who stated that the main cause of EV breakdown was problems with the 12v battery.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#133 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by jack »

EVs typically have two batteries, one to power the motor and the other for low-current systems such as safety features, infotainment, and lights. If either of these batteries runs out of power, you could find yourself stuck on the roadside. The most common car breakdown is a dead 12v battery. This can be caused by leaving the lights on, a faulty alternator, or even just a cold winter day. If your battery is dead, you’ll need to jump-start it or get a new one. Be aware that this common problem is not down to the charge in the main battery, but can be caused by e.g. lights left on or the car infotainment not being turned off.

It is an important feature of most EVs as this battery is crucial for maintaining critical safety systems. Even if the main battery runs flat, the 12V battery can still power emergency blinkers, airbags, seatbelts, brake boosters and other essential safety features.

The 12V battery in EVs usually lasts around 3-4 years which has a shorter lifespan with heavy usage. Infrequent use of the car can also cause this battery to age quicker, which may result in the electric car breaking down.

Unfortunately, faults with this battery can be a common cause for breakdowns and it can be a good idea to get a charger in the car to help you out should this be the issue. The frequency of electric car breakdowns due to lack of charge largely depends on the driver’s awareness and behaviour. You can purchase a good jump pack to jump-start your EV.
Makes sense - you need to keep the safety critical and infrastructure stuff running even if the HV battery is flat...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#134 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:37 pm
Makes sense - you need to keep the safety critical and infrastructure stuff running even if the HV battery is flat...
Yep, I agree, but that doesn't in itself prevent the converse, to allow a limp home mode where the HV battery takes the place of the 12v system. There must be a system in place to maintain the 12v battery under normal use, its not as if they have bolted an alternator on the thing.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#135 Re: Road vehicle fires.

Post by Tony Moore »

Yes, I guess it does make sense to have a separate battery - just _why_ horrible lead-acid? Tesla are only now starting to use Li-Ion.