PP3521 idht

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#31 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Bought a 30v torroid of twice the power rating and it bobed up to 34 volts which is champion.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#32 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Nick »

And its easy to add extra turns to a torroid secondary as long as the center is not potted.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#33 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#34 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Within the entire house there is a single Mullard ECC88 . That’ll do for now. Only one b9 base will be occupied the chassis will lose simetry and the sky will fall down Chicken Licken. It doesnt matter!

Last edited by Paul Barker on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker

#35 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Nightingale Audio Chassis are versatile.
Paul Barker

#36 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

You wait and see how my uggly core transformers are presented, once a reasonable ebay purchase arrives. Waiting for parts now.
Paul Barker

#37 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Incle David comes for tea every night, he is a great asset it gives Diana social interaction and helps me cope with the immense stress husband and wife dementia ruined marriage is for the husband. So we’re restoring my Chinese coil winder. Were going to bush the bar that holds yhe bobbin so it doesnt wobble, and mount onttaptiin on a block. The fried transformer is potted so may not be salvigeable. But I could wind a new pair if 5k transformers. For the next Nightingale audio chassis project!

Vwrt sorry to the English Lit graduates. My fingers are too fat for an iphone Xs keyboard, but I can lift 120kg with my grip strength!
Paul Barker

#38 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Im a world expert at cleaning wc pans nowadays erm… so my 25 year old weller might look less grubby soon.
Paul Barker

#39 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

On the un-bypassed cathode resistor, Stephie did tests on ECC83. If u look on the left of the graphs you will see the colour code top to bottom. 2nd, 3rd etc. follow it through to right and see what distortiins look like between un-bypassed on left bypassed on right. I just know unbybassed sounds good to my ears.
Paul Barker

#40 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#41 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by simon »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:28 pm Found a shocking amount if d3a’s looking though!
Imagefree image hosting site
Blimey. If you ever want to sell a few Paul I'd be interested, I only have 4 and really should get some more.
Paul Barker

#42 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:27 am
Paul Barker wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:28 pm Found a shocking amount if d3a’s looking though!
Imagefree image hosting site
Blimey. If you ever want to sell a few Paul I'd be interested, I only have 4 and really should get some more.
Hoarder lol
Paul Barker

#43 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

My curve tracer broken no replies to emails. Is yours operational?test a few for me and buy some that suit you for you. I might buy a new kit but not right now.
Nick
Site Admin

#44 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Nick »

I should keep out of this, but...

Not sure anyone would argue that a unbipassed cathode resistor will produce lower distortion for a given output voltage. It is, after all, adding local negative feedback. The question should be does the higher anode resistance (with its attached lower PSRR) and lower gain (there is feedback after all) cause more or less problems that the bipassed cathode.

Where I will question the rationality however is if this is then used to justify the following chain of thinking.

1. Removing the bipass cap makes it sound better
2. The cap is the reason it sounds worst.
3. Capacitors make things sound worst.

If 1 is true, you have yet to prove 2, therefor we cant say 3 is true.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#45 Re: PP3521 idht

Post by Paul Barker »

Were cool Nick. I have to get boilers fixed. Its never easy, nobody said it would be easy. So using the mind that finally arrives at what it takes to get payed which means Ive fathomed it. So understand youre logical look at the elements and that one proves or disproves no other, is sthe same mind I approach my job with. Though Im probably retired. Dont keep out of anything I say I live with a woman who makes a fight of everything , youre a pussy cat and time has made me realise Im not as clever as I thought I was. I enjoy raising my methods for discussion and im not saying Ive carved the best path, Ive done something Ive thought of, is all. Im no longer sure Black Gates are best for example. But Im using them in this power supply because the b+ is existing, thats all.