My Swansong speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#61 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Just placed my order with Peter Benson (Plywood) Limited in Darwen for the CNC routing of the front baffles and bases and cutting all the other panels using their CNC controlled flat bed beam-saw. Hope to pick up the machined panels sometime next week. :D
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#62 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Scottmoose »

I thought you were using that old hacksaw you mentioned... ;)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#63 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Scottmoose wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm I thought you were using that old hacksaw you mentioned... ;)
Nah, Lynn's a little old in the tooth these days, but don't tell her I said that :lol:

Just kidding, but seriously I didn't fancy routeing accurately all those driver holes in the front baffles, and the relative small cutting fee they charge for straight cuts on their state-of-the-art beamsaw is a no brainer.
Andrew
Eternally single

#64 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Andrew »

Amazing Colin, you have been busy. Very much looking forward to hearing these :)
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#65 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yep, me too. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#66 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ali Tait »

Ditto. :-)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#67 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Guys,
You're not on your own wanting to know how these will sound when built. I do have great expectations. Hope they don't turn out to be Wuthering Heights :lol:

Whilst awaiting the cutting of and delivery of the speaker panels, yesterday I made up a pair of binding post plates from 3mm aluminium. These are sprayed matt black. The speaker terminals are Monacor ST-926GM jobbies.

Toppsy
Shed dweller

#68 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Just got back home from picking up my CNC cut sheets from Peter Benson (Plywood) Ltd.
They have done a superb job as usual that makes my life building the cabinets so much easier.
I opted for 8' x 4' Furniture Grade Chipboard since I was told that using BB Birch Ply would likely triple the cost. I needed a single sheet 25mm and 2 x 18mm sheets. The lot cost including VAT was a little under £218.00.
Here is a photo of the CNC routed front baffles:

It's a little too hot at the moment to do any the assembly work and/or CNC routing the window braces from the straight-cut 18mm panels so will wait until this evening when it's a little cooler.
shane
Social outcast

#69 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by shane »

Back in March I bought an 8x4 sheet of 24mm bbp from my local timber merchant for £110 for a shelving project.
I took an offcut in today to cut up on their panel saw (FOC. Thanks guys!). The same sheet would now be £179!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#70 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ant »

Cant get hold of any locally here, the nearest place is about 8 miles away and the price is about the same plus delivery so im looking at about 200 quid a sheet.
The last sheet i bought was for the red lenco i did a few years ago and was probably a third of the price. That did 2 decks
Its got to the point that its not really viable for many applications at the price it is right now
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Greg
Social outcast

#71 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Greg »

How about using resin for plinths?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#72 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Greg wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:57 pm How about using resin for plinths?
or plaster/plaster of paris?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#73 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:58 pm Just got back home from picking up my CNC cut sheets from Peter Benson (Plywood) Ltd.
Nice work Colin.

Do you just supply them with .dxf files and let them do the rest?

I need to get the bases of my Pass SLOBs built and had hoped to get the drawings and CNC work done by an acquaintance but that seems have become a dead-end so have to look at progressing it myself.

I only need a single 1200mm x 2400mm sheet of 18mm ply so using birch is affordable - £177 a sheet down here.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#74 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by vinylnvalves »

Sounds like the pallet of 15mm birch ply I bought may have been an investment. Seriously if any one is happy to use 15mm, I am happy to machine some bits up for a reasonable price. I paid £80 a sheet (10x5). Can bring it to Owston.
The only caveat I need to get my CAD PC up and running, or replaced. My challenge may be the £1800 licence key for the cad software, which I can hopefully recover off the hard drive.
Ray P

#75 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:45 am I am happy to machine some bits up for a reasonable price. I paid £80 a sheet (10x5). Can bring it to Owston.
Would you take on the CNC work for my SLOB project? It would need to be 18mm though? There's nothing very complicated about it, mainly 2D shapes with some trenches and flat panels with bevelled edges.
image002.png
image002.png (81.79 KiB) Viewed 54851 times