Fun with Feedback

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#121 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Nick »

Yep, its why you want your frequency compensation to reduce the gain to below 1 before the phase shift gets to 180 deg.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#122 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by steve s »

Thanks nick, explained perfectly !!

I had it in my mind that positive feedback could occur in the audio frequency band with the wrong cap values .. obviously I had it totally wrong..

I just feel like I've finally got my head around the subject ( in a limited way of course )
So steve, nick and James. thanks
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#123 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:35 pm Thanks nick, explained perfectly !!
...I just feel like I've finally got my head around the subject ( in a limited way of course )
So steve, nick and James. thanks
I'm still learning Steve. There's a lot to learn yet, but I've got the basics and as Nick says once you have a basic understanding of how global feedback works, you become able to use it and take design decisions with it that are more judgement than luck.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#124 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Mike H »

steve s wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:35 pm I had it in my mind that positive feedback could occur in the audio frequency band with the wrong cap values .. obviously I had it totally wrong..
No I think I know what that might mean, if it relates to low frequency instability. This can occur where the LF response of the OPT is lower than what the rest of the amplifier circuit can handle (in other words, the LF 'performance' of the OPT is better than the amplifier). It's like the OPT is drifting off zero and then the amplifier is trying to pull it back into line but on the end of a piece of elastic, it takes too long so it overcompensates then it goes too far the other way and so on. One possible reason, cathode bypass capacitor values are not large enough. This is aggravated if open-loop gain is too high.

How do I know all this? :D

Exactly what happened with my prototype EL84 p-p amp (it's been to Owston couple of times, and Ant made the wood case for it – 2 x EF86 for both input and concertina phase splitter).

It was all designed in LTspice, I got the o/p stage working lovely, on its own – then the front-end, on its own – a rather ambitious push-pull phase-splitter affair (can't remember what the name of the configuration is). I was after lots of open-loop gain, to be tempered by NFB. Seemed like the obvious thing to do.

When I plugged the two sections together, LTspice threw its toys out its pram. Errors everywhere and painfully slloooowww – had to keep aborting the sim while it's only done a few microseconds. I'm blaming the program. But, I thought, let's simplify it to something we know works, i.e., the old fave, one input gain stage and a concertina splitter (cos, can't keep pratting about like this forever). LTspice liked that, and behaved itself. Alrighty then, we'll actually make that!

So I built it, and finally got to the point of firing it up, and one channel had very low frequency oscillation. The speaker cone was visibly pumping in and out by maybe 10mm once per second or so. :shock: This was finally cured by reducing the gain of the first EF86 stage, by merely resorting to bunging a resistor in between the cathode and (what was) the bypassed cathode resistor (values modified to retain DC bias). Was all hunky-dory after that and it was lovely.

Much later, I went back to the LTspice sim, wondering why the program won't show this behaviour. Well of course, normally in a sim I rarely go longer that a second, or a few, if it's audio frequencies we're dealing with. But I had an idea, keep increasing the run time ('trans') and see if anything happens. And lo, so it came to pass, at about 15 seconds, off it went into a low frequency oscillation, and yes, about 1 Hz or so. Program vindicated! Even with zero Volts input, same result, which is exactly what the real circuit was doing. And the 'cure' was the same. The crux of it, too much open-loop gain. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#125 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Nick »

The crux of it, too much open-loop gain.
Sounds like classic three stage amplifier Motorboating which in many cases is caused by a hidden feedback path through the power supply rails. Normally worth trying better smoothing in the B+ line to reduce the -3dB point frequency. The R's and C's in the supply between the stages couples the signal in the output stage back to the initial amplifier stage with the RC networks adding the necessary phase shift. With typical amp stages having lowish PSRR, Bob is your proverbial.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#126 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

As I have a centre-tapped HT transformer, I thought I may as well try a couple of cheap, 6CL3, TV damper diodes for rectification. I started off with a solid-state rectifier with one 6CL3 as the slow-start element, running off the same heater supply as the rest of the valves. It worked nicely and gave a useful increase in the HT voltage, so that the EL34s were dissipating 20W each, nicely in the sweet spot.
A few days later I thought about removing the SS diodes and having a full wave setup with two dampers, but the heater winding had insufficient capacity to run another tube. I ended up fitting an additional 6V transformer and running the rectifiers off that. It works very well and the whole thing sounds lovely:
Heretik2halfwave.jpeg
Heretik2halfwave.jpeg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
HeretikPSU2.png
HeretikPSU2.png (41.34 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
The 1.2A of heater current each of the dampers draw, isn't too onerous. It would have been a lot heavier with my EY500As or 6D22S.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#127 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

Anyway, back to the solid state amp. The Heretik was a great engineering exercise, but I’ll be keeping it for occasional use due to the power consumption. I listen for at least six hours a day, often more, so the solid state amp is a no-brainer.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#128 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:05 pm Anyway, back to the solid state amp. The Heretik was a great engineering exercise, but I’ll be keeping it for occasional use due to the power consumption. I listen for at least six hours a day, often more, so the solid state amp is a no-brainer.
Just out of interest, what are the relevant costs for (say) eight hours listening per day over (for example) a 30 day month ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#129 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:12 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:05 pm Anyway, back to the solid state amp. The Heretik was a great engineering exercise, but I’ll be keeping it for occasional use due to the power consumption. I listen for at least six hours a day, often more, so the solid state amp is a no-brainer.
Just out of interest, what are the relevant costs for (say) eight hours listening per day over (for example) a 30 day month ?
Valve class A single ended.
£8.00
£24 per quarter.
£96 per year.

Solid state class B amp - £20 per year.

Every little helps.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#130 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

OTOH
I could listen less, read more, write more and go for more walks and keep the valve amp in the system. :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#131 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:44 pm
pre65 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:12 pm
Valve class A single ended.
£8.00
£24 per quarter.
£96 per year.
When you think what a packet of fags cost these days (£12 - £15 ?) £24 for 3 months audio nirvana seems good value. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#132 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by pre65 »

OR, £96 - £20 = £76

76/365 = 20.8p

So using the valve amp over SS cost an extra 21p per day. :D

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#133 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

Anyway, the pair of damper diodes were a tweak too far.
The extra heater transformer's electric field was inducing a slight hum into the input stage and also it was causing the bottom plate to utter a loud clang on the initial magnetisation at switch-on, because it was inside the case. The choice was either to return to a GZ34 or go back to solid-state with a damper diode as the slow-start element. I went back to the solid-state plus slow-start because I couldn't be arsed to change the Novar socket for an octal, and because I got more voltage out of the arrangement and more voltage is always a bonus, all within reason of course.
That's it as far as any more tweakery goes. I'm well chuffed with the results and it would be a shame to mess it all up, especially after all that brain pain involved in learning about then working out and testing out the feedback and frequency compensation.

Would I build an IDH single ended amp without global feedback in future? Not on your nelly!

Final schematics below:
HeretikV2.0.png
HeretikV2.0.png (66.71 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Heretikslowstart.png
Heretikslowstart.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#134 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Paul Barker »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:33 pm OTOH
I could listen less, read more, write more and go for more walks and keep the valve amp in the system. :D
Im listening much less, and still working full time for survival, and subscribe to full gym membership. So I graft hard all day then go to gym for a workout then sauna;ice room after. Im now addicted to the endorphins and the comrade-ship (couldnt make spell checker happy with ery or ary so went ship, ehh aaaw, another fail, so put a hyphen in. apple spell checker is no help whatsoever ! save a fortune in eleccy trying to write messages without spelling wrong instead of listening to valve amp!) of other guys going. Most are good company. Im becoming fitter, instead of sitting around listening to music for prolonged periods.

Aswell as that the fight for life to get into worthwhile work wasnt going well at all in this age. Got a local job but its too hard for a almost 65 year old. You cant make youre thumbs support youre fingers in placing screws in holes, not dropping them and with youre eyesight thats makes you see small screw heads as well as Marty Feldman, jobs Im sent to take me 4 times as long as before deteriaration. So it’s tough right up to the last.

I dont do any music reproduction upgrades, that includes the opamp project. Non of it matters when youre fighting to feed the family.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#135 Re: Fun with Feedback

Post by Cressy Snr »

Music is my first love and it will be my last. Music of the future and music of the past. To live without my music would be impossible to do. In this world of Johnson, Sunak, Truss, rip off energy companies, climate change and complete utter bastards, my music pulls me through.