Nationalisation .

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#31 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Nick »

Nationalization can produce adverse effects, such as reducing competition in the marketplace, which in turn reduces incentives to innovation and maintains high prices
Now replace "Nationalization" with Monopoly and you see the same problem from the other side.
Economics Online suggests that in the past, many operators and managers of publicly owned utilities were not “required to meet any efficiency objectives set by the state”, and that “because these industries were protected from competition, they had become increasingly inefficient”.
That sounds like a failure of the state, not the Nationalized industry.

To quote
it depends on what you do to achieve an end result
If only there was some way we could look up information and work out how to run something without it failing.

But again, you still haven't defined what "become increasingly inefficient" exactly means and why its a bad thing,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:58 pm

But again, you still haven't defined what "become increasingly inefficient" exactly means and why its a bad
thing,
How can anything that "becomes increasingly inefficient" be a good thing eh ?

Even with my brain I can understand that.

4x23a
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#33 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Inefficiency in capitalism means reduction in profit .

You pay your workers a decent wage , benefits and a proper sick pay scheme you are deemed ineffecient.

We need to move beyond this silly simplistic arguements.

We’re ineffecient are we , pray do tell .
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Cressy Snr »

“Efficiency,” is the biggest load of bollocks I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter.
All it means in terms of government speak is maximum profit out for minimum effort in. So you pay the least amount you can get away with and push the workers to their absolute limits. You keep them anxious with macho management tactics and the constant threat of being fired. You do the absolute minimum of plant maintenance and outsource said maintenance anyway, so the contractor has no interest in doing a proper job.

Hell these days the employee doesn’t know who the fuck they are working for half the time, due to the use of offshore umbrella companies so they can get away with not paying employers NI contributions, though that little jape might have been stopped now. So as an efficient company, you avoid tax, avoid plant maintenance, evade employment law, pay your workers the minimum you can get away with, have zero hours contracts, outsource your payroll to umbrella companies, then extort the maximum possible money from your customers. That about covers efficiency I think.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#35 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Nick »

How can anything that "becomes increasingly inefficient" be a good thing eh
That is neither an explanation of what it is or a proof of it being true. Daniel and Cressy have both defined what it is and why it may indeed be a good thing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#36 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Nick »

And there is the idea of privatizing profits and socializing losses that is everywhere.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by pre65 »

" Due to the fact that government businesses are usually poorly managed, most nationalized businesses by the government end up being mismanagement and that reduces efficiency of the business."

18%

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#38 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Nick »

Hey, you know what else is inefficient? Democracy, best get rid of that. And while were are having that efficiency drive, whats the point of the over 50's with less than 10 million in assets, best get rid of them as well.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:41 pm Hey, you know what else is inefficient? Democracy, best get rid of that. And while were are having that efficiency drive, whats the point of the over 50's with less than 10 million in assets, best get rid of them as well.
Now you are getting carried away, and off topic. :lol:

£2.50

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Cressy Snr »

This is nothing more than a sport designed to wind up what the OP sees as a bunch of lefty luvvies.
I’m out. I’ve better things to do with my life than to contribute any more this deliberate trollfest. Fuck it!
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#41 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:54 pm
Nick wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:41 pm Hey, you know what else is inefficient? Democracy, best get rid of that. And while were are having that efficiency drive, whats the point of the over 50's with less than 10 million in assets, best get rid of them as well.
Now you are getting carried away, and off topic. :lol:

£2.50
I disagree it's entirely on topic. I am just following where your suggestions must take society if we priotise efficiency over everything.
Nick
Site Admin

#42 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Nick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:59 pm This is nothing more than a sport designed to wind up what the OP sees as a bunch of lefty luvvies.
I’m out. I’ve better things to do with my life than to contribute any more this deliberate trollfest. Fuck it!
You are right. No point.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by pre65 »

I say again, I think that nationalisation of key industries would be better for the UK and it's people.

I'm would like to think that those key industries could be run as well as the private sector has done, but I have my doubts for that in the long term.

But, who really knows ?

a

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by pre65 »

The reason that I did not start this topic was because I consider religion and politics to be taboo subjects for discussion.

Seems I was right. :(

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#45 Re: Nationalisation .

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I think your problem was crass arguements .

Not politics per se

Although I’ve never met a Tory I didn’t want to punch