Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#16 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by vinylnvalves »

steve s wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 am I really enjoyed Steve's horns at the last Owston, since then I've been reading up on ways to improve horns
I've got a feeling I may be revisiting them in the near future
Your welcome to try the Mike Jagger Lips Horns, with a 2” driver :D
I have a new horn design for the Beyma TPL’s which I am confident can get to a 1000hz crossing in design. Whether I get any built before Owston will depend on how quickly I can get my house more energy efficient.
steve s
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by steve s »

Ant wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 am
steve s wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 pm I have a delphi mk 2 it has my 2nd frs64s on it sounds very nice
Didnt think you used vinyl very much steve, last one i remember you having was a td124 on a stone shelf in the lounge, shows how long its been :shock:

Sounds like i wouldnt be disappointed by a delphi

Re electrostatics, they arent something ive ever really wondered about very much, perhaps they should be
That 124 is now on a granite shelf on the lounge wall.. still unused..

What's worse is I've always wanted to try an older decca cartridge.

I eventually got hold of a decca professional arm and had the cartridge rebuilt, but 2 years on, its all still in the box. I started to make a plinth to use it with a 301, but it's still unfinished
I thought I'd have loads of time when I retired !

If you want to hear a delphi I can set it up for you?
I have a nice spu synergy thats had about 10 hours, I can put that on
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#18 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by steve s »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:14 am
steve s wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 am I really enjoyed Steve's horns at the last Owston, since then I've been reading up on ways to improve horns
I've got a feeling I may be revisiting them in the near future
Your welcome to try the Mike Jagger Lips Horns, with a 2” driver :D
I have a new horn design for the Beyma TPL’s which I am confident can get to a 1000hz crossing in design. Whether I get any built before Owston will depend on how quickly I can get my house more energy efficient.
Thanks Steve, I'll bear that in mind.
I've been doing a little reading about horn colouration and how to remove it
This article seems to make good sense, but it seems a short horn and damping could be the best start despite the drop in efficiency

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... Waveguides
It's a long read !

I've just bought a tatty pair of fibreglass ev dh90 flares, with a view trying a few ideas out on them, but they have only got as far as the garage, and they more than likely still be in the garage in 2 years time !
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by steve s »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:14 am
If you get those finished that will be a real treat for us all. The last ones did a lot of things right.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#20 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Ali Tait »

Living Voice horns, and all that crazy Electronluv gear- completely bonkers to look at, love it.
steve s
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by steve s »

Ali Tait wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:49 am Living Voice horns, and all that crazy Electronluv gear- completely bonkers to look at, love it.
Only heard his set up once at the Bristol show about 15 years ago.
His large speakers where easily the best in show
Heard lots of his smaller /cheaper speakers, to me nowhere near his better offerings
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#22 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Ali Tait »

I think Nick’s heard the Olympians at Munich.
Ant
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Ant »

steve s wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:19 am
Ant wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 am
steve s wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 pm I have a delphi mk 2 it has my 2nd frs64s on it sounds very nice
Didnt think you used vinyl very much steve, last one i remember you having was a td124 on a stone shelf in the lounge, shows how long its been :shock:

Sounds like i wouldnt be disappointed by a delphi

Re electrostatics, they arent something ive ever really wondered about very much, perhaps they should be
That 124 is now on a granite shelf on the lounge wall.. still unused..

What's worse is I've always wanted to try an older decca cartridge.

I eventually got hold of a decca professional arm and had the cartridge rebuilt, but 2 years on, its all still in the box. I started to make a plinth to use it with a 301, but it's still unfinished
I thought I'd have loads of time when I retired !

If you want to hear a delphi I can set it up for you?
I have a nice spu synergy thats had about 10 hours, I can put that on
Cheers steve, will have to see if we could arrange something one weekend
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#24 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by vinylnvalves »

steve s wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:45 am
Thanks Steve, I'll bear that in mind.
I've been doing a little reading about horn colouration and how to remove it
This article seems to make good sense, but it seems a short horn and damping could be the best start despite the drop in efficiency

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ ... Waveguides
It's a long read !

I've just bought a tatty pair of fibreglass ev dh90 flares, with a view trying a few ideas out on them, but they have only got as far as the garage, and they more than likely still be in the garage in 2 years time !
Jacks article on waves guides - it’s nearly 20 years old. Read it some while back. Interesting those waves guides I used at Owston last were OS wave guides. The Gedde paper explains why they cannot develop HOLMS, short without much loading.
Ant
Shed dweller

#25 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Ant »

Wanted to try an oracle, just got the chance to.
I have in my living room a rather large box containing im told 'most' of an oracle delphi mk1, and another box containing the motor and other assorted bits. Just need to get it to work.....
Not a job ive taken on to fix it, its for my own amusement.
Also in the box is an SME 309, one of the original die cast aluminium ones. Will be interesting to compare it to the arm i made

John, who has sent it has many more decks than i have cluttering up his house, has picked up the lenco i built for him and the td124 i fixed for him has kindly lent me this broken oracle to play with.

I'll start a thread on the oracle, i think it will be a really interesting project to do

The 309 is an interesting one too, one arm ive wanted to hear for a long time is the SME V, the 309 isnt quite a V, but as close as im ever likely to get

Ant
Shed dweller

#26 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Ant »

Scratch that project, ive fixed it. Once id worked out where all the dissasembled bits went, put the motor back together and looked at the circuit diagram off the oracle website, and after some poking about on the deck itself i found the likely culprit for it being broken as a relay.

This marks it as an early mk1 as oracle changed the boards and deleted the relay after not alot of time

This is fitted to a board that acts as a junction box for all the wiring so i took the relay off the board, took it apart and cleaned the contacts, then took everything off that junction board, cleaned all the solder pads with a scratch brush, cleaned all the flux and crap off it and redid all the wiring.

Reassembled it and it works fine. I was told it had developed a fault, been left for a while then fired up intermittently at 33rpm but wouldnt run at 45 at all.

I havent got the 27vdc power supply which he couldnt find, so ive had to use a 24vdc smps from something to run it. So its abit slow at the moment, i may be able to tweak it up using the trim pots but we will see. John says hes going to dig the psu out and send it up so its fine for now.

Im going to take the deck apart again, clean everything and follow the setup procedure from the manual to do it properly.

Dunno wether to fit my 3009 to it initially as the original arm board is for that, or use the second arm board for the 309 as it looks like someone made it and it needs abit of fettling to get it how id like it.

Onwards!

shane
Social outcast

#27 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by shane »

Pictures!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#28 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Ant »

Ill do some pics and a little writeup on it over this week as i plan to pull it apart and give it a good going over
It cant live on the big rack, it wobbles around like a jelly every time someone looks at it funny so ill have to shift the lenco out of the way and put it on the built in unit instead.

I havent had a suspended deck in the house in years so ill have to re learn them. Cant just plonk it somewhere and play like the lenco et al

That is of course if it can be tweaked to the right speed

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#29 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by Dave the bass »

Hifi components you've always wanted to try.

A properly fettled Linn Sondek LP12 with a Linn arm and Cartridge.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
rowuk
Old Hand

#30 Re: Hifi components you've always wanted to try

Post by rowuk »

Cello Equalizer
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.