scams

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 scams

Post by ed »

I've just had an unnerving call from the bank(I think it was the bank but was unable to repeat the message to clarify) saying there had been 2 recent transactions on my account/card, one for £300 to amazon and one by bank transfer for £1000. As I had never used these methods the caller said they were likely to be suspicious...press 1 to cancel these as fraudulent and 2 to do something elese.....

I haven't repeated these verbatim but I think it is a pretty close account of the telephone message....

my internal firewall went up immediately and I didn't press any buttons.....and the caller rang off after a couple of seconds.

There was a very real temptation to press 1 but on reflection I'm glad I didn't.

I don't have a card so I'm guessing if it's legit then it waill be Sandrine's account. I will get her to go to the bank when she get's in....

If this was a scam it was very plausible
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: scams

Post by Nick »

I know that the payment verification process can involve a call to the phone number registered with the card and ignoring the call will result in a declined but cant say if yours was legit. Ignoring them if legit should cause the transaction to fail (I would assume/expect/hope).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#3 Re: scams

Post by ed »

I'm definitely feeling uneasy at the mo....
yesterday I bought something on ebay for £2.99, paid by paypal. In the middle of the transaction I got a message online saying they(paypal) were going to text me an authorisation code, the alternative method did not work. I don't have a mobile, and paypal know this, they normally phone the landline. Well I sat there in disbelief until the phone rang about 5 minutes later, it was paypal with a 6 figure confirmation number which was read out as hundred thousands and hundreds and units, e.g four hundred and twelve thousand six hundred and ninety two. I had to wait for the third repeat to write it down.

all this for £2.99. Normally I get a call with a four figure number for items costing £50 or more......go figure...

and then the phone rang another 4 times in the following 2 hours with a message from paypal....once with a translated text message from BT.

we're doomed I tell ya
ed
retired

#4 Re: scams

Post by ed »

they called again....this time i was awake and got the gist of the message

it was from 'bank security service'
transactions were: amazon £300
international money transfer service £1000
press 1 to decline transactions
press 2 to speak to an operator

1471 revealed the number the call came from..

it's beginning to look legit, I think Sandrines account may have been hacked....more later when she gets back.
ed
retired

#5 Re: scams

Post by ed »

ed wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 am they called again....this time i was awake and got the gist of the message

1471 revealed the number the call came from..I've just checked and it's an Isle of Wight number.

it's beginning to look legit, I think Sandrines account may have been hacked....more later when she gets back.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: scams

Post by Nick »

For better or worst, mobile phones are becoming the de-facto security authentication device, be it 2FA messages or authenticator applications.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: scams

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 am they called again....this time i was awake and got the gist of the message

1471 revealed the number the call came from..

I’d still treat this with suspicion. A check on her statement will soon put things right.
I’ve had messages like this left on my landline in the past. They are after your bank details. Call the bank directly. Do not respond to any messages like this.
They usually use an Amazon transaction as most people have Amazon accounts.
£300 and £1000 are suspiciously round numbers for a start.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: scams

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:00 pm
I’d still treat this with suspicion.
So would I.

This business of getting code numbers on a mobile phone to verify transactions can be a pain, but it is a good way to stop scamming bastards.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: scams

Post by Cressy Snr »

Also, just because your 1471 says it was an Isle of Wight number does not mean the call actually came from the Isle of Wight.
Scammers spoof legitimate area codes and phone numbers. It’s dead easy with the right equipment.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: scams

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:13 pm Also, just because your 1471 says it was an Isle of Wight number does not mean the call actually came from the Isle of Wight.
Scammers spoof legitimate area codes and phone numbers. It’s dead easy with the right equipment.
Yes, that has fooled me into answering calls because a local area code has come up on the display.

I must admit, that since being able to block scam (or telemarketing) call numbers, I now get very few of those .
Last edited by pre65 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#11 Re: scams

Post by Ant »

I got one of these recently, i didnt press any buttons, put the phone down and rang the bank directly.

A few years ago i got a phone call from the bank at gone 11pm about a suspicious transaction, i did the same, put the phone down and rang the bank directly. Their fraud people are always available
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#12 Re: scams

Post by ed »

sorry guys I've been out, should have cleared this earlier....
it was a scam, as the bank confirmed when she got back....

I'm guessing but I think the scam will likely be something like huge telephone costs if you press one of the buttons.....