CCS topologies

Subjects that don't have their own home
Wolfgang
Old Hand

#1 CCS topologies

Post by Wolfgang »

Don't now if "topology" is the right term here. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference in how it sounds using a voltage regulator vs a current regulator. Or: why would one use all those extra parts for replacing a 10k/2k (elysium) resistor if a TL738 could be used ?

JB (2).png
JB (2).png (139.37 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Attachments
Elysium (2).png
Elysium (2).png (71.26 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
rowuk
Old Hand

#2 Re: CCS topologies

Post by rowuk »

RH Amplifiers by Alex Kitic use LM317s with excellent sonic results. I have built 4 of his amps, based on the 307A and EL84. Alex says that this removes the need for matching/biasing tubes. http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/2013/05/rh- ... ersal.html

I would also ask why so many more parts.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: CCS topologies

Post by Paul Barker »

Not in the two examples above as they’re both reasonable current. But you can’t use a constant current sink on low transconductance valves.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Wolfgang
Old Hand

#4 Re: CCS topologies

Post by Wolfgang »

But you can’t use a constant current sink on low transconductance valves.
Ok, but my question was going in the direction of what difference it makes using a current regulator vs a voltage regulator. And JBroskie uses both together which makes it even more difficult to understand in case it is about different levels of distortion.

Like in pmillett's test but with the 10M45S as CCsource vs a resistor.
http://www.pmillett.com/current_source.htm