Yay! New toy

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#61 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

I'm seriously tempted to get my own reflow oven, this is the same type as I've been using, borrowed from a mate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125816349984 ... media=COPY
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#62 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:18 pm I'm seriously tempted to get my own reflow oven, this is the same type as I've been using, borrowed from a mate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125816349984 ... media=COPY
I would be very interested in how you got on with that. Been thinking about this for some time (years). The one you linked to has a load of (I assume are still true) fixes on the net about making them reliable. Did you mate have to do mush if anything to it to make it usable?

That's what puts me off, the uncertanty. I quite like the idea of a thermally controlled clothes iron being used as a controlled hot plate.

I also look at these, much more money, but are they just the same as the ebay one with a higher price tag?

https://www.fortex.co.uk/product/rf100- ... flow-oven/

You can see why I am still using hot air.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#63 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:32 pm Did you mate have to do mush if anything to it to make it usable?
Nick, I've messaged him to check if it is the same model - certainly looks similar - and whether he needed todo anything to it. I know when first delivered it had broken tubes (poorly packed) but not sure what else he did. The couple of times I've borrowed it I've had no issues with the soldering results - you'll have seen some of the pictures I've posted previously.

The oven you linked to seems to be able to take much larger PCBs so is probably worth the extra if you need that capability.

I've looked before at converting domestic ovens for reflow - there are kits and instructions around but I've not progressed it because of having access to my mate's oven, but he's changed job and is doing more of his own project boards so it's more difficult to borrow it nowadays, especially now I've dispensed with my car...

The youtube video you linked is interesting and I've not come across it before but, coincidentally, I have used a sandwich maker hot plate to pre-heat boards before using the hot-air gun to reflow the solder - it certainly speeds up the reflow stage, which can't be bad. A handy feature of the sandwich maker is that it has a rim that captures any round components you manage to blow off the PCB. I have an iron here that works fine except for a leak from the steam-ironing reservoir (after it was dropped) so I may give that project a look as I think I have everything here except for the arduino stuff, of which I have no experience.

Anyway, I'll let you know what my mate says about his experience with 'fixing' his oven.
Ray P

#64 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

I had a reply from my mate regarding his reflow oven and any modifications he might have made.
Thats the same one as mine indeed!
I did, i added a quieter fan and took all the masking tape(!!!) away from the heating elements. Id recommend 1" kapton tape as a replacement.

There are also thermocouple mods online to get more even heating of the hot zone.

I also loaded firmware from github onto it from a swedish company, which works great. The stock UI is crap. You may need an STlink or something to do the programming if memory serves.
Nick
Site Admin

#65 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

OK, thanks for that Ray.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#66 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Hi Tony, maybe a new project? Looks interesting. I'll read through the content later.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... st-7272403
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#67 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Tony Moore »

That looks very interesting, thanks for the suggestion!
Nick
Site Admin

#68 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

Why did they use a bunch of logic gates for the output devices? Would have though real mosfets would have been better and allow more that 1.5W output into 8R.
Ray P

#69 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

I've not properly read through the thread yet Nick but you're going to be much better equipped to understand it than I am anyway. It does seem to be very much a work in progress.
Ray P

#70 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:26 pm OK, thanks for that Ray.
Nick, I noticed this upgrade to the reflow oven on ebay - just in case it's of interest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193624000200 ... SwPh5ZJV1D
Nick
Site Admin

#71 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

Yes, interesting. Does make it a £600 pound oven though or £900 for the version with the work done from the same people.
Ray P

#72 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Indeed, not a trivial cost uplift, but I guess still competitive in comparison with the general marketplace. DIY would be the obvious approach but it's justifying the outlay for a hobby that would only make occasional use of it.
Ray P

#73 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:17 pm Yes, interesting.
Well. you could go into production PCB soldering Nick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305237742655 ... media=COPY

http://avipre.com/products/machine//Ref ... 20Oven.pdf
Nick
Site Admin

#74 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Nick »

I might have problems with the 40-50A supplies.
Ray P

#75 Re: Yay! New toy

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:37 pm I might have problems with the 40-50A supplies.
I think you would have a problem fitting it on a shelf too! I was being tongue in cheek BTW.