Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#901 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Tony Moore »

I remember watching Long Way Up

https://www.longwayup.com/

a while ago and they do have significant issues charging and using their Harley Davidson prototype electric bikes on the trip from Argentina to LA. Argentina in winter was pretty cold and the charging infrastructure not up to the task. The bikes struggled on the first part of the trip but then once the temps came up they performed well. They didn't have pre-conditioning in their batteries though. At least it didn't seem so.

I have a leased company EV now and I love it. Best car I've ever had, both from the company and from private. Very fun to drive and just makes you want to keep driving it. It's been a while since I had a car that engaging. Most modern cars (in the range I am offered!) are just seriously boring. Even more than the acceleration I like the braking, which is mostly regen - so smooth.

The preconditioning function is great, tell it (on the phone app) you're going out in 30 mins and by the time you get in it is warm and toasty, the windows are all clear and the battery is happy. Love it.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#902 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

The world's first public two-car electric crash test by Mercedes-Benz.

And, there was no fire.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#903 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:26 am The world's first public two-car electric crash test by Mercedes-Benz.

And, there was no fire.
Yep, and see here.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mythbu ... ching-fire
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#904 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Any talk of ev fires as no place on such an erudite forum as this , given this comprehensive review .
Nick
Site Admin

#905 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

"Crash Test Dummy Engineer". I tell you, with AI nobody's job is safe :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#906 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Mike H »

@ Tony - that is impressive, glad you like it. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#907 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

A thought provoking video from Harrys garage.

"Why I've gone back to driving a diesel after 2 years with an EV and then 2.5 years driving a PHEV as our family car. What needs to change to get me to go back to EV?"

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#908 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Nick
Site Admin

#909 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#910 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Just passing through one iof my least favourite places on this small blue green unrewarded planet in the I fashionable Western spiral arm of the galaxy and I not that Terminal Car Park 2 - a.k.a. Phil's car park is still there; burned soggy rusting in the sunlight - how appropriate!

It is of a little comfort that despite it being an appallingly uncomfortable and boring journey back to Beds Towers that it costs nothing but time....

Terminal re- Phil's Par Cark is deffo 'nuanced'. Wicked!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#911 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

N.b. unfashionable, unregarded. - My fingers are cold.

Another cup of coffee to wash down a soap tasting sandwich. There's something peculiar going on here!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
gninnam
Old Hand

#912 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by gninnam »

Took deliver of my first BEV a few days ago (BMW i4).
Loving it so far (can charge free at work which is a bonus) and the handling is very similar to an ICE powered BMW 3/4 to be honest.
The preheating of the car is great (can be done whether it is plugged in or not which is good) and driving using the one pedal function is brilliant.

I am a serious petrol head (many large engined and performance cars over the years plus I ride motorbikes) and always will be but before I retire I thought I would see how using a BEV car works for me which will then let me decide which way to go.
So far both me and the wife are impressed but it is very early days.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#913 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

In New Zealand, EVs used to have no road tax.

Now EVs will have to pay a charge per Km.

With plug in hybrid vehicle, it now seems they have to pay tax on fuel (for the ICE) and also pay per Km (at a reduced rate) as they are also classed as an EV.

Go figure.

"From 11.59pm, Sunday 31 March 2024:

Legislation will be passed before 1 April to enable the reduced RUC rate for plug-in hybrid vehicles.
Owners of light EVs will pay $76 per 1000 kilometres, in line with equivalent diesel-powered vehicles.
Owners of plug-in hybrid vehicles will pay a reduced rate of $53 per 1000 kilometres so that they are not double taxed when paying Fuel Excise Duty. The partial rate of $53 per 1,000 kilometres assumes that on average, a plug-in hybrid will consume petrol at a rate of just under 3 litres per 100 kilometres. "

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/ele ... ise%20Duty.

Edmund Burke