General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#391 Re: General health matters.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Strangely- my neighbour has had a heating engineer around as the controller had gone on the blink. She was recommended to talk to a guy who “fixes” control boards for appliances, as hers is around 10 years old and the parts are expensive and hard to get hold of. Combining your skills from work and hobby could be away of offering a service that benefits all, as replacing passive components on a board, that costs a couple of hundred quid minimum to replace will command a reasonable repair fee.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#392 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

Rather than quote everything the last two posts by Steve and Nick both so meaningful. Like minded Steve, nice ideal. In the absence of such option B is my glass ceiling. But ill not just work to my retirement. Im slightly shutting the door after the horse has bolted, or maybe just caught its tail. Trying to get fit and live to more potential. (After watching an ex-rower in his nineties, still working out doing a ted talk about living better in old age) Partly from necessity as family seem reliant on my earning potential; who knows £600 a month pension i’m expecting in 1yr 1/2 a month isnt enough? I didnt ask to have to work all my life every turn of fortune / misfortune, has been faught hard by me alone all my life. Looks like ill just have to keep that up until death.

Nick, I love youre last post on the subject, youre like the wise one in my life that sees the situations that my own blinkers hide from me. Thank you?

Vinyl, Problem with boiler pcb,s is theyre no longerelectro mechanical. 20 years ago i resouldered dry joints, replaced worn from arking relays, changed bulged electrolytics and burned resistors.

Now they have some numbers ground off complex chips and little else. Not my bag. Most boilers boards today are pretty bullet proof with only a few exceptions. But said exceptions arent something I can fix. So when i turn up to one of those its manufacturers part couple hundred quid. That doesnt retire the boiler as typical combiswap with cheap nast boiler with loads of life shortening (i.e. <8 year life expectancy) design flaws, but the boiler all the conmen love selling you as they can fit two a day and make about £800 from each one. Doesnt mean i can go and do that or earn that. To get into that position, you have to bury youre conscience for a start.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#393 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

“Yep, also consider that the people who are using unscrupulous selling practices to get jobs, probably also used those skills to convince you to work for them in the first place.”

I just had to repeat this, Bang! On the nail!

It was both a shock when he phoned me with “Im going to have to let you go”, but also felt so right! Its no good working for bodgit and scarper. He instigated the parting which was inevitable in a matrix pronunciation way. I need to be happy it happened.

To repeat Steve option B. I think its also inevitable Im now self employed to the last!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#394 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks though, so much all that rallied around, and helped me see what I couldnt see. I feel better at least theres that.
andrew Ivimey

#395 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A letter dropped through the hole in the door today. Yippee I'm back on the bowel screening programme. I thought they'd forgotten about me.
I feel all immortal again - three cheers eh!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#396 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:57 am A letter dropped through the hole in the door today. Yippee I'm back on the bowel screening programme. I thought they'd forgotten about me.
Smearing faeces on a bit of cardboard ? :D

Top tip, don't do the test within a couple of days of eating black pudding.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#397 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hats off to those who 'process' the poo. It must be sixty years since I spat out a disgusting morsel of that vile confection- no chance of that restriction!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Paul Barker

#398 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:57 am A letter dropped through the hole in the door today. Yippee I'm back on the bowel screening programme. I thought they'd forgotten about me.
Ooh joyous. I too am imporant enough to be sent a pooh stick. If it was good enough for Winnie the Pooh who am I to complain?
Paul Barker

#399 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

A GP wants me on Statins which she knows from a telephone. I said “Ill not go on statins until you show me i have calcification deposits or plaques” stroopy reply, oh ill book you into a cardiologist appointment. So appointment duly arrived; 2nd Dec telephone appointment. I suppose Ill just have to repeat myself on the 2nd December.
andrew Ivimey

#400 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Weird! A blood test is in order, surely.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#401 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

That's what you need a CAC scan for.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#402 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Bloods is easier quicker cheaper and shows lipids up.CAC is expensive, massive dose if x rays and shows lumps and abnormalities. I'd still want s blood test and as we're only looking here for cholesterol ( very common almost expectedassumed in men over 55). Statins work. Oddly I found (the most commonly prescibed) Atorvastatin not at all for my well-being I reverted back to old fashioned Simvastatin and my cholesterol is down to very healthy levels.

To cut a long story short I had hypertension and high bad cholesterol before I started on the Statins.

All imho.
Nick
Site Admin

#403 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Yep Simvastatin here also. I guess we won't know unless Paul tells us if bloods were done first. That's certainly how it's repeatedly worked here. Blood taken, self reported blood pressure and only if needed would I see or talk to a GP.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#404 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Depressingly, same here.

Came back from our first country fair selling. Rye Show. Very good day. First time doing a lot of sales via contactless - I opted for the Square system (though SumUp, Zettle etc. are very similar) and it was a breeze to set up and use.

On doorstep, the blue box from the NHS for bowel cancer test. I too am on Atorvastatin 10mg. I sleep badly but not sure that's down to the statins. For me, it's genetically high LDL, which is generally classed as not helpful.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#405 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

Have any of you experienced a drop in energy levels, or muscle weakness from the statins ?
Luckily I have no current need to take them. My mum, however was prescribed Atorvastatin a few years ago and was rendered almost immobile for three days after taking one tablet. She continues to have no problems with heart disease despite having had cholesterol over 8 for over 20 years, but you'd have to say she's one of the lucky ones, I suppose. This whole subject is very confusing though, it's not clear the research results are getting simpler on this at all.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"