Transcendent Sound Masterpiece.

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#16 Re: Transcendent Sound Masterpiece.

Post by Ray P »

Jwro wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm Hi, partially based on what I've read on this forum I am thinking of getting the Transcendent Sound Masterpiece kit and am wondering, now that it's been a few years, if your impressions have changed or if you are still happy with it?
I scratch-built a TS Masterpiece a while ago as a headphone amplifier and I still use it regularly - coupled with one of my DSD DACs and good headphones (currently HiFiMan Sundara or BeyerDynamic DT880) it still provides my favourite/best headphone listening experience. It is an outstanding pre-amp too.

In my build, the amplifier circuit is stock but for the 300Bs I use DHT specific filament supplies, courtesy of Andrew L, a resident of this forum, a Maida regulated supply for the B+ and regulated supplies for the 12AU7 filaments - the amplifier has a totally black background with no hint of a buzz or hum.

There are some pictures at this link https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... 74#p190474, which will lead you to my build thread.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Jwro
User

#17 Re: Transcendent Sound Masterpiece.

Post by Jwro »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:03 am
Jwro wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:59 pm Hi, partially based on what I've read on this forum I am thinking of getting the Transcendent Sound Masterpiece kit and am wondering, now that it's been a few years, if your impressions have changed or if you are still happy with it?
I scratch-built a TS Masterpiece a while ago as a headphone amplifier and I still use it regularly - coupled with one of my DSD DACs and good headphones (currently HiFiMan Sundara or BeyerDynamic DT880) it still provides my favourite/best headphone listening experience. It is an outstanding pre-amp too.

In my build, the amplifier circuit is stock but for the 300Bs I use DHT specific filament supplies, courtesy of Andrew L, a resident of this forum, a Maida regulated supply for the B+ and regulated supplies for the 12AU7 filaments - the amplifier has a totally black background with no hint of a buzz or hum.

There are some pictures at this link viewtopic.php?p=190474#p190474, which will lead you to my build thread.
Ray, Thank you for sharing your impressions of the Transcendent Sound Masterpiece. Also seems like it's been favorably reviewed by others on the forum as well. So, it helps me put my reservations aside and encourages me to go ahead and commit to building it.
I also read your thread on your scratch build version of the Masterpiece 300B Headphone amp...very interesting reading and impressive modifications, inspiring and beautiful work too!
I'm a beginner, "paint by number" kit builder, so I'll enjoy building the stock version of Masterpiece kit and learn from it. And, I'll probably refer back to your scratch build thread as I go, it'll make more sense to me that way. I now feel like it's a good choice and will be worth the effort!
thanks again...
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#18 Re: Transcendent Sound Masterpiece.

Post by Ray P »

Jwro wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:02 am ...so I'll enjoy building the stock version of Masterpiece kit and learn from it.
Do post here about your build and impressions.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!