Little upgrade

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 Little upgrade

Post by Ant »

I was told to 'get rid of some of that shit you've collected' by she who must be obeyed this morning.
And going through said 'shit', i found a bag full of old ac/dc adapters. Some old laptop ones and some wall warts. One of the wall warts was a 12v ac/ac one at 1.5a, so I tried it with the musical fidelity x-lps in place if the 500ma original.

Thats better. Removed the bit of a screech from the top and firmed up the bass. Its a cleaner sound all over. Nice.

And it was free.
Still havent a clue what the adapter was for originally....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Little upgrade

Post by IslandPink »

Result !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Little upgrade

Post by Mike H »

Ant wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm I was told to 'get rid of some of that shit you've collected' by she who must be obeyed this morning.
Again? :shock:

Yep I use 2A ones with a couple of Bluetooth receivers, and the ADC phono amp, "just in case" :thumbleft:

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Little upgrade

Post by Ant »

Listened abit further today and the bump in quality is abit bigger than I initially thought. Its quiter in terms of noise, but i cant figure out why, higher inductance from the heftier transformer possibly? sweeter, no more crapping out right at the bottom of the range, the bass end is tighter and deeper than it was. Probably the current drawn by the cct is being supplied as it should be rather than the tx starting to saturate on peaks. I think given the temp of the standard tx after half an hour of idle, that its specced for the bare minimum with not much overhead for dealing with peaks.

I took the board out to have a look at it and see wether it could have a set of different op amps but the ones in it (Sq something) appear to be a different pinout to standard ones so that might be a dead end.

Doing some research, it appears people have stuck schottky diodes in it and changed the lytics, pretty simple mods so i might think about doing that. Not going to pull it apart for the sake of it though.

The higher rated tx has addressed some of the issues I have always had with it, namely the slightly farty bass and the bit of shriek at the top so it might be worth messing with it further.

Listening to it through the headphones with the jvc and eroica playing shows the difference up quite markedly
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com