iPhone

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I thought it was good now I have an iphone to use my business banks app, which they told me was only out f or the iphone.

But they were idiots a guy told me it came out on android first.

Anyway I dowloaded both apps. Tried them on iphone and Samsung S4mini.

S4mini was faster throughout the whole app. the app worked extremely well on android.

Only downside of the android version was the stupiidty writen into all android and microsoft software, constantly asking you if you are sure you want to do what you told it you want it to do.

So the typical slowing you down by not doing what you asked right away and instead requiring you to look a gain at the screen and select a yes i fecking well am sure box.

So with that in mind the android has killed its benefits. The iphone wins on sheer ease of use but not on speed within the app.

May main email accounts are gmail and I am sad to report to you that iphone is fcuked up with gmail. Yes the app works. but unsurprisingly Android have reseved the best gmail app for their operating system. Hardly a surprise. but another minor anoyance.

I could switch everone to my new Cloud email account I suppose.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Never had a problem with gmail on my iPhone. What does it do wrong?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I'd have to show you a picture of both apps side by side to explain it which is hard as my phones are my cameras so side by side not possible.

But the graphics and functionality of the android version is definately superior.

Also I have three gmail address and in android each has it's own place I can open directly the one I wish to.

On the iphone I have to go within the app to each email address individually and I am not even told which one I am in. Presumably the last one open when I last closed the app.

Android app. note it informs me which email account I have open.

iPhone app

I am not here to diss either operating system. Just another one of my newbie learning about stuff threads and speaking as I find without prejudice.

interestingly the photograph taken with the iphone is bigger and better.

Camera and video are definately better on the iPhone.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Quite right, its not quire as informative or straightforward on the iPhone. Just checking it wasn't having any specific problems. I spend half my working day sorting out email problems on iPhone and android. Usually it comes down to problems with certain crap email providers but gmail's usually problem-free.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Quite right, its not quire as informative or straightforward on the iPhone. Just checking it wasn't having any specific problems. I spend half my working day sorting out email problems on iPhone and android. Usually it comes down to problems with certain crap email providers but gmail's usually problem-free.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

thanks mate. It is very unexpected but I expect it is deliberate ploy by android to make it worse on apple and better on their stuff.

All the apple stuff works great.

As a whole the apple phone is a very sorted operating system.

Android these days has too many questions to ask, has too many options and as I keep saying keeps asking if you really meant what you meant which everyone will be sick of me going on about, but it really miffs me they slow down what might be as good as apple stuff with a little thought.

I believe originally when microsoft tried to rip off apple they had to make it clumsy so as not to infringe copyrights, but clumsy seems to have been a habit they just can't get out of. Windows 8 being the state of the art definition of clumsy.

OTOH one of my customers loves the windows mobile operating syste,. Takes all sorts.

Now i have got cloud working on the windows 7 computer and subscribed at £26 a year to sharing my own music I am well on the way.

Taking it a day at a time I am slowly turning apple shaped.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Very interesting how well the icloud integrates and how quick and easy it was to do it.

Sadly I failed to achieve the same level of wifi coms between my android phone and windows 7. Probably me but it just never worked.

icloud seems to be a very well sorted program.

I have to say I am happy with apple phone and its seamless integration through icloud and unlike other systems ou don't have to disable you antivirus software for it to work.

Looks like I don't need to buy an apple computer to get full functionality. Thats a relief. I have no need for an ipad either.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, you are learning the intuitive nature the iPhone has. Certainly for me I found it far better over android which frequently leads you down an illogical path that is alien to your mind. Be cautious about what you say about iPad. I have one and would never step back. We also have new PC's using windows 8 which we are gradually getting to understand, albeit a total PITA.

Without doubt, next time we need to replace our home based computers, I'll be going for a Mac, regardless of cost. I'm not interested in the politics and for me, Apple does it miles better than any alternative available on the High Street. All of course IMHO.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I see what you mean about ipad.

It's just that I am sorted.

Only thing I do on a tablet is look at pdf's of boiler manufacturers instructions. I have that otherwise hopless gadget the blackberry playbook for that job. One thing blackberry are to bannan at is reading pdf's. A better more portable gadjet for that one job you couldn't find.

For computer work I much prefer a computer to a tablet.

For mobile phone stuff I much prefer a mobile phone to a tablet.

I rather fancy that a Galaxy Note 3 phone would do me for both jobs, but the deal on the iphone was just so great. I now have unlimited calls and texts and 3gigs of data for when 4g arrives in scarborough for £30 a month. Couldn't turn it down.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote:I now have unlimited calls and texts and 3gigs of data for when 4g arrives in scarborough for £30 a month. Couldn't turn it down.
Yep, that is about what I am paying and the bonus is the iPhone and iPad automatically talk to each other, so I handle much of my iPhone traffic on the iPad. Love it.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Just an update. iPhone is best phone I ever owned.

EE ideas about where to roll out 4g are weard.

If I went up staxton Hill and headed twoards Driffield, all the sheep and cows would have great 4g coverage.

In Driffield Scarborough Malton which as a triangle surround that arable block of countryside. No 4g coverage.

I suppose the plan must be to boost the capability of a mast which must be in the middle of the country so that it can provide 4g to the surrounding towns.

Who knows?

Anyway next time I'm off up that way I'll be able to try out 4g.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Greg wrote:... the intuitive nature the iPhone has.
Greg, that old chestnut!

I assume you mean that it is us, the users of the device who demonstrate intuitive behaviour when interacting with such devices, the device itself has no intuition.

Following your reasoning, if you were able to transport, say, William Shakespeare, to today are you saying he would be able to intuitively operate an iphone but not/less so an android phone? That's clearly nonsense as both would be completely alien to his experience and none of his accrued intuition would apply.

Intuition (as opposed to instinct) isn't something we are born with, it is developed based on our life experiences and how we interpret those experiences and we will all be different in that respect. It follows that some of us will like using an iphone, whilst others will prefer an android device. As our life experiences change and develop, as we are exposed to new/different things, what we find intuitively easier may change. Of course, in parallel to developing intuition based on our experiences we will also be building ourselves all the other parts of our personal map of 'our world', interpreting experiences into beliefs/preferences/prejudices/etc.

Having owned both Apple and Android devices my view is that they are both perfectly functional/practical, both are easy to use but both have their own little irritations. Is the hardware/operating system device that sits in your hand really that much of a differentiator now; I certainly base my buying decisions on more than just the physical device.

Ray
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Paul Barker wrote:Just an update. iPhone is best phone I ever owned.

EE ideas about where to roll out 4g are weard.

If I went up staxton Hill and headed twoards Driffield, all the sheep and cows would have great 4g coverage.

In Driffield Scarborough Malton which as a triangle surround that arable block of countryside. No 4g coverage.

I suppose the plan must be to boost the capability of a mast which must be in the middle of the country so that it can provide 4g to the surrounding towns.

Who knows?

Anyway next time I'm off up that way I'll be able to try out 4g.
Back in work today after a week off. It's quiet so I just had a look at the coverage map for Scarborough. As you say, Scarborough itself has no 4G coverage as yet, and if I could see any projected date, I'd have to kill you if I told you. However, stated aim is to cover 98% of the population by the end of 2014, so it shouldn't be long. The nearest large area of coverage for 4G is York, which is covered by about 10 masts which reach about a third of the way to Maltby. Curiously, there is one 4G enabled mast at a little village in the middle of nowhere called Weaverthorpe which gives coverage to a large area of countryside between the A64 and the A614 for no obvious reason. Perhaps there's some sort of military installation there?

This tells the story:

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/coverage-checker

Unlike me, you won't be able to see individual site locations on there, but you can see them here:

http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes that is the area I am talking about.

There is an RAF base at the top of Staxton Hill which is in the coverage.

The folk in those villages will be in their element. From what I hear 4g is considerably faster than some broadband. Couldn't get much slower than my broadband. When I get 4g coverage shall be feathering.

Typing this on a MacBook Pro in Currys that costs £1,699 or £2,199.

So I'll carry on with my windows 7 machine.

You have to be a very rich person or have a strange perspective on how to divide hop the family budget to get one of these.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Theoretically 4G can give you up to 100MB/sec, but typically you'd expect 20 - 40 in a decent coverage area, which is better than most landlines, and as good as cable in most places.