SP10 dis-assembly

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

No ruffled feathers Lee, makes no difference to me who thinks or believes what.

But Slate is CLD in exactly the way you described.
It's formed from settling sediment over millions of years. Every year, or even seasons deposit different minerals or even dead creatures and plants forming individual and different layer composites. The tides sift causing the layers to be formed in different directions.

The different types of slate available are mainly due to the different minerals, locations, eras and temperatures of formation.

In essence, slate is the ultimate natural CLD material and offers a perfect example of true CLD.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Hmmm... Not really sure how shear forces could occur in solid stone, even on a microscopic level, but I see how each layer of slate could be different. It is therefore also quite an interesting and puzzling situation that all slate is not equal in performance.

However, it could be cool to try bonding two sheets of slate together with an elastomer or silicone bonding agent, securing the turntable to only the top layer and seeing if that is better than a single sheet or two sheets separated by spikes.

Anyway.... this is nothing to do with the dismantling of an SP-10 of the original poster's topic, so I will bow out here.

Cheers and sorry for the temporary hijack.
©2020 Lee
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Not really sure how shear forces could occur in solid stone
I thik the point is its not solid stone, if you ever watched someone splitting slate, its clear where the shear plains are.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Hi Nick.

Yes, that had occurred to me too. Obviously this is how we get roof slates, but.... until the slate is sheared, it is one single mass, no? Surely if this theory holds true with slate, then any kind of simple layered substance would make a good CLD system? Basic wood must surely be a CLD then. It actually grows in layers. What about a laminated glass (car windscreen style) type system for CLD shelves or plinths? I really think the point is being missed that a true CLD is a simple sandwich of two similar materials constraining a layer of dissimilar material allowing shear forces to convert the vibration of one layer into heat. Is it possible for slate to allow for shear movement in its original, solid, natural state? Maybe...

Another thing to think of though, is that in bolting through any "CLD" system to secure a turntable, this completely negates ANY of the true CLD properties, as the layers are no longer allowed to move in a shear direction. They are effectively all just clamped together. To function correctly, the device that is vibrating must only be rigidly mated with one of the outer constraining layers, allowing the system to convert the vibration into shear force and therefore heat.

All IMHO of course. I must get some slate to have a play with eventually. :twisted:

Cheers
©2020 Lee
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

until the slate is sheared, it is one single mass, no
AFAIK, no, its not a single mass, its a composite of flat sheets interposed with a thin barrier, and its the difference between the sheet and interface material that makes it a CLD. Wood doesn't fit the description as its not lamina, there are connections in all directions bwteen the fibers,

I think a laminated window would fit the description, as would ply wood, if the layer of glue was thick enough to prevent dirrect contact between the layers, which it isn;t, so its not.

And yes, bolts through the material would compromise the effect around the bolts.

I think the effect is similar to Optics where the different refractive indexes of two materals can cause reflection or deflection of light
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Nick wrote:AFAIK, no, its not a single mass, its a composite of flat sheets interposed with a thin barrier, and its the difference between the sheet and interface material that makes it a CLD.
Interesting. Where did you find that info from Nick? I will deffo have to get some slate to have a play with. Unfortunately I can't quite afford a Slatedeck plinth. I'll have to see if I can pop up to the quarries and pick up a few shards to tinker with. :roll:
©2020 Lee
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

HEALTH WARNING !!!

Slate dust is VERY bad for your health.

If you are planning to drill,cut or machine slate please take precautions (no,not a johnny :lol: ) as it is not nice stuff to inhale ! (tried it when i was young but i never inhaled-honest guv :wink: )
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Have a look at Darrens description about how it was formed, thats what I was going on.