Tonearm Offset angle and how important is it.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Andy831
User

#1 Tonearm Offset angle and how important is it.

Post by Andy831 »

I have two available arms a SME3009 Mk 2 and a Hadcock 242.

The Hadcock specifys an offset angle of 23 degrees while the SME has a minimum angle of 20 degrees.

My question is how important is this angle to performance and could the angle for the Hadcock be pushed up to say 37 degree provided the cartridge can still be aligned at the null points?

Has anybody tried this?

Andy
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Off the top of my head, I think the offset angle is a function of the pivot to spindle distance and arm length. Is there a particular reason why you want to change it so much? I would have started with the makers recomendadtion myself.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Nick wrote:Off the top of my head, I think the offset angle is a function of the pivot to spindle distance and arm length. Is there a particular reason why you want to change it so much? I would have started with the makers recomendadtion myself.
To be clear the offset angle refered to is the angle a line drawn through the spindle makes with a line drawn horizontally through the spindle when the pivot point is positioned at the correct spindle to pivot radius.

The reason for wanting to change it so much is that I am trying to minimise the size of plinth required, due to the size / shape of my Turntable wall shelf.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I though the offset angle was fixed, to change it would mean reshaping the arm or headshell. Your question has me confused....

Can you describe is again using the AD picture below?

http://www.theanalogdept.com/overhang.htm
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IO think the only time you would want to alter the offset would be if changing the effective length of the arm.

I think you are need to use the makers recommended geometry unless you want poor results.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.