A Question for Darren - CNC Machining sheet metal

Subjects that don't have their own home
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 A Question for Darren - CNC Machining sheet metal

Post by Toppsy »

Darren,

are you able to CNC cut out holes etc in 2mm copper sheet from a AutoCad drawing file?

The copper sheet in question is 400mm x 320mm for my 6em7 SE integrated amp build.

I need cutouts for three TX's a couple of octal base holes, a couple of novel 9-pin holes and two 50mm holes for a couple of TVAs. And of course all the mounting screw holes.

What sort of ballpark cost we talking, please, assuming you can do this for me?

Cheers

Colin
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Colin,

Yes no problem, send the CAD file over to we4212 at gmail dot com and I'll sort out a price for you.

BTW, please don't supply the copper sheet. You will probably already have it to size required? The machine has to cut the outside edge in order to know where to cut the internal holes. If the copper is already to size it can't do this. I don't believe any CAD machine can. It's just the way they work.

Secondly we won't know exactly what composite your copper will be, this does make a difference and they do vary a quite a bit.

We only charge the true cost for the materials. ie we do not make anything on it.

But I would suggest that you think about using Stainless Steel. You can give it a brush effect finish with aluminium oxide paper quite easily and it will never tarnish, thus keeping it's good looks.

We can cut almost any sheet material except acrylic, this just shatters.

Best wishes
Darren
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Darren,

Unfortunately I have bought the copper sheet from Mallard Metals in Birmingham and yes it is cut to size. :cry: It cost me £58 so I would rather it not go to waste.

The sheet could be cut down by 5mm all round so the CNC machine can register the outline. Would be be OK.

Now I do need a couple other small sheets cut say 300mm x 75mm in size with holes for power IEC sockets, speaker posts, etc. I do not have the copper for these.

What I will do is get a CAD file drawn up at work on Monday and send it over to you.
Thanks Colin
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Colin,

Best thing is send the file over and we'll take it from there.
Paul Bannister
User

Post by Paul Bannister »

Hi Darren,

I read with interest your reply to Colin's request for some copper CNC work. I have tried to organise copper machining in the past, but it's difficult to find anyone who understands the quality threshold someone building audio might be wanting.

Can I ask if you have any folding machinery? I am interested in organising some folded copper sub-chassis with some CNC milling, for isolating a phono section within a larger aluminium chassis. I would normally try and use 2mm 1/2 hard copper.

You mentioned that you do not CNC brittle plastics, but can you CNC PTFE 6mm sheet. I've just worked up a cad of a PTFE tag board I want to get made for the phono above. (I could supply the PTFE sheet from RS.)

Is this something you would be happy to tackle? If the answer is yes, I can send some cad's for you to peruse and see if they are ok for you.

Regards,
Paul
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-a lot of "plastics" and "nylons" can be machined quite easily.

I have used Delrin quite a lot on various projects and that machines very nicely on my home lathe.I get mine from e-bay seller" UK Roy "
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Guys,

I have access to CNC lathes, milling machines and a water jet cutter.

I do not own them, all my machines are manual. But I obviously sub contract a bit of work out to various companies. This has allowed myself to build up a good friendly relationship due to the quantity of work I pass over to them.

All I will do is take a look at your drawings, check them over and pass them on for a quote. I will then collect the parts on your behalf when they are finished, pack them up and send them onto you.

Now these guys are not going to be particularly interested in one offs, CNC machines are typically used for runs in the 100s or even 1000's.
But I will see what I can do.

Say you want a top plate for your latest amp project cutting in Stainless Steel.
They are not going to set the machine up just to do this and make one item. But what I may be able to persuade them to do is add it to an existing job.
So typically, say they are cutting 1000 pieces from an 8x4 sheet of SS. They could add your top plate drawing into the job in one corner of the sheet. Hey presto your job is done. But you'll have to wait until this can be fitted it.

If it is at all possible that you come up with something that others may think is cool then it's a different ball game. Collectively prices will come down quite a bit even for small batches of even ten units.

I will add a small charge for my trouble, but I guess you would expect that. My time and costs do need to be covered.
But I can assure you of two things. Firstly I doubt any engineering company would be interested if you approached them directly for small numbers. Secondly even with my modest charge it's still going to be well under what you would be quoted.

There is one rule for anyone reading this, you must be a member of this forum for at least 6mths, or I must know you for an equal length of time from other places.
You may question this, but what I don't want is all and sundry reading this post bombarding me with requests.
I am not really interested in producing these items, but on the other hand I do know how frustrating it can be to have such things produced by companies with the relative machinery.
If I can help I will. No promises.

If you can collectively get together and design a universal top plate or maybe a phono/IEC mains plate and we can produce a run then that would be cool.

I hope I didn't bore you all with my rambling, but you may now have a clearer picture of the situation.

If you are interested in quantity production then please email me through my business contact details and not on here.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

pre65 wrote:Hi-a lot of "plastics" and "nylons" can be machined quite easily.

I have used Delrin quite a lot on various projects and that machines very nicely on my home lathe.I get mine from e-bay seller" UK Roy "
Hi Philip,

Delrin is just a brand name, what you have been machining is acetal.

Yes it does machine well and is great for a new lathe user to practice with.

Try here for your supply, thoroughly recommend them
http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Paul Bannister wrote:Hi Darren,

I read with interest your reply to Colin's request for some copper CNC work. I have tried to organise copper machining in the past, but it's difficult to find anyone who understands the quality threshold someone building audio might be wanting.

Can I ask if you have any folding machinery? I am interested in organising some folded copper sub-chassis with some CNC milling, for isolating a phono section within a larger aluminium chassis. I would normally try and use 2mm 1/2 hard copper.

You mentioned that you do not CNC brittle plastics, but can you CNC PTFE 6mm sheet. I've just worked up a cad of a PTFE tag board I want to get made for the phono above. (I could supply the PTFE sheet from RS.)

Is this something you would be happy to tackle? If the answer is yes, I can send some cad's for you to peruse and see if they are ok for you.

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Water cutting is one thing, folding would involve another company which may start to get expensive?

No probs with PTFE, send the file over I'll take a look.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

BTW Philip,

Do remember that Acetal is not particularly good at electrical insulation. Esp the black type as it contains carbon. Never use it for isolating any HT on your amp projects. :shock:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Darren wrote:BTW Philip,

Do remember that Acetal is not particularly good at electrical insulation. Esp the black type as it contains carbon. Never use it for isolating any HT on your amp projects. :shock:
Hi Darren-that worries me !

I checked the insulating properties of Delrin on the internet and was led to believe it was a GOOD insulator.

I HAVE used Delrin to make distribution boards with 4mm screws used as terminal posts. :shock: :shock:

Have noticed NO apparent problems with PT15 or ECL82 but i must admit it's only used for 250V mains connections,or less !
Attachments
Input board 001.jpg

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

This seems to suggest "very good insulating properties" !

http://www.par-group.co.uk/UserDocs/Pla ... Acetal.pdf

Edmund Burke

Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

You may be right Philip, I always understood it wasn't esp the black type.

Happy to be proved wrong though.
I have deff read it somewhere, now confused, again !! :D
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

OK, I've been Googling around and can find references to Acetal being "good" but not "excellent" for electrical insulation.

They do not say if this is for natural coloured (white) or includes black?

It depends how much voltage you want to put on it.

But I have also read in the past that black Acetal contains carbon and should not be used for electrical insulation. I just can't find that ref right now ?

If I can find it I'll post it.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »