AV Room

Subjects that don't have their own home
Darren
Old Hand

#1 AV Room

Post by Darren »

Hi,

I'm currently building a dedicated AV room. I have put a single socked in the ceiling with another outlet with an S-Video lead for a projector.

I don't know much about projectors but they seem to come with every type of socket known to man for input/output.

I'm assuming that a mains supply and an S-video lead will be all that would be required fed from a video recorder or DVD player?

Now before I board up the ceiling and loose further access to install anything else I thought I'd throw this out to the members here.

Do you think anything else would be required?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would plan ahead and include a HDMI cable as well.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

build an access hatch
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

No access hatch I afraid Ed, I want it to be tidy.

HDMI. think it will take off?
We seem to have masses of standards already.
I'm trying to decide if S-video is as good as Scart.
Or should O put one of them in as well as HDMI?

Thanks for the heads up Nick, I wouldn't have considered it, shall order a cable pronto. :D
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Its been some time since I looked at AV, I think that scart potentially has better performance tham s-video as it can provide seperate RGB feeds. But of the non digital connections, I guess component video has the best potential performance.

Depends on what is offered by your source and what the projecter can use.

I don't know for certain. I think the future of HDMI is safe for the time beeing, despite the battle over HD storage, it seems to be what most player have now. the other alternative is DVI, but as HDMI is for use with DRM delivery, its likely to be prefered by the industry.

Its a complex subject, maybe worth having a chat with your nearest shop even if you don't buy the cable rom them
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Hi Darren

S video is not a particularly good specification to work to - yer good old VHS recorder/player outputs said format. It is supported and usually delivered by scart.

RGB is also supported and delivered by scart, and gives much better colour saturation than S video. However, it is more geared towards CRT technology.

Composite is more geared towards projectors (although many flat screens support it), and gives a better picture than either of the previously mentioned formats, provided that you have a DVD player capable of supporting progressive images (ie non interlaced images - TV traditionally uses interlaced pictures).

HDMI is the way the future lies - it will be compatable with both plasma screens and projectors - just make sure that any cabling you install is of the higher bandwidth variety.

I would question the use of a projector, as less expensive units suffer from "halo" effects around brightly lit areas - you need to spend serious money on a decent projector to avoid this. The lamps are also expensive to replace.
Plasma screen may well be a route to investigate.

Leave HD DVD alone - the format has just about been dropped - BluRay is now the preferred format of most Hollywood studios, and, let's face it, they (the studios) actually end up dictating the formats that movies end up being released in.

Chris :)