Dad's 50th Birthday turntable :)

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Dad's 50th Birthday turntable :)

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well what a surprise I got today!

Our Ant as you know is heavily into building his own turntables.

This afternoon he delivered this "bitsa" made from an old Micro Seiki belt driven TT he got off eBay. He fitted a Jelco arm rewired with silver cable and a Lenco magnesium headshell. My Daughter paid for the cartridge; an Audio Technica AT110E and a cheap SS phono stage.

The plinth is a two-part section, with the motor mounted into the lower half. The baseplate is separated from the bearing mount (top plate) by three Foculpods for vibration isolation. He made the base out of a bit of 2'' thick floor joist he found in a skip on a building site near his house. Nobody could accuse him of not being green. :) Even the cartridge is NOS as it says "Made in West Germany" on the box.

The 4 pole motor is mounted at 2 o'clock in a similar manner Pink Triangle's 8 o'clock method, which sets any motor noise in line with the fore/aft axis of the cartridge so that the cartridge is agitated, by motor noise, in the direction in which it is least responsive, unlike conventionally mounted 10 o' clock motors that agitate the cartridge in a left/right direction precisely where it is most susceptible.

Now nobody would claim that this is anything out of the ordinary, especially with the Jelco (Linn Basik LVV) and cheapo MM cartridge but the lad has put a great deal of thought into the design of this turntable and to be honest it sounds absolutely wonderful.

The sound is rock-solid and pitch stable, fast, clean, dynamic and neutral. The soundstage is deep but does not extend much beyond the edges of the speakers. But what it does, it does brilliantly. I'm very impressed with it.

He's done his homework with this TT and it shows. A great birthday pressy I'm quite choked really.

Here's a couple of pictures. One of the turntable and the other showing how it integrates with the rest of the system.

I'm going to have to build a valve phono stage now.

Steve
Attachments
TT50Closeup.jpg
TT50Closeup.jpg (186.43 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
TT50.jpg
TT50.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Happy 50th Steve!

That's a great pressie, good stuff Ant. Look forward to hearing it sometime. There are plenty of phono stages to have a go at :D.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

what a beauty, an origional and made with personal care. you lucky man. and that's put you squareley on another slippery slope :P
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

That.s a smart looking turntable that
good job ant :P 8)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I would be really happy if my son had made that.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Wow! What a brill pressie, just showed Julie, she's well impressed too.

Have a great B'day.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Great isn't it?

I'm gobsmacked!

Here's the badge he put on it.
Attachments
Badge.jpg
Badge.jpg (123.42 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I bet you're well chuffed Steve, I would be,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Steve
I’ve not seen ant post on here for some time has he given up posting it would be nice if he can tell his store of this turntable build I'm sure the others here will be interested in this as well a great job well done indeed
8)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

A beautiful job. You're a lucky man, Steve.

I must show Tom. It's my birthday on Monday and he'll be looking for ideas (I hope!)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

hi there guys, i havent posted for ages due to work and family commitments and to be honest i havent had anything worth posting! i built this as i had no idea what to get him and i had the jelco arm laying about doing nothing. id bought it to put on the technics dd i took to owston last year after having a 'disagreement' with the unipivot that was on the dd. i never got round to it and hed just sold off the rocsan and jvc. i just kept buying tts and taking them to bits but no doing anything with them so i thought id build something abit special. its made out of a bloody great joist off a building site that i nicked for no apparent reason! (it was there and i cant help abit of skip diving, its amazing what folks throw away!) the micro seiki was in a state but was cheap and all the bits i needed were ok so off i went to the chagrin of swmbo! the main plinth and sub plinths are both 2 parts jointed internally using a router and a ply insert and cut so the grain runs in the same plane as the arm. the motor was place on the same axis centre as the arm and bearing. to be honest im really suprised at it as it has no right to sound as good as it does! it is probably down to the ikeda silver wire in the arm. i didnt have enough time to finish it as id like but it does sound great in his system! hopefully it will continue to pend the attention of cats and small children! :D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Lovely job! Many happy returns Steve.