Naim Dbls.

Subjects that don't have their own home
ian walker
User

#1 Naim Dbls.

Post by ian walker »

Hi all,
Like i said in my hello post i have a pair of Naim Dbls which i'd like to try to build a new system around. Is there anyone here who's heard these speakers being used with valves?,or could anyone advise on the type of amp that would best drive these properly.I have heard them with a mates Yaqin pp kt88 and it sounded pretty good to me but i'm sure with knowledge base here i could cut some corners. I know from reading other posts :D here that the final choice is a personal one but some pointers as to the type of amp would be great. Here's the spec of the Dbls.
Frequency response (in room)
17Hz - 20kHz ± 3dB

Sensitivity
92dB/1W/1m

Impedance
4 Ohms (minimum)

Power handling
200W (music programme)

Dimensions .
They have a 15" bass driver are 4ft tallx2ft wide and weigh 88kg.

Ian.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

The specks sound lovely for a valve amp...umm
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-i would think Darrens 833 amp might light them up a touch ! :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I would have thought my gm70 monoblocs would drive these nicely.

The thread on the amp can be found here:http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71

I also have a WAD6550 (40W PP) with both 6550 and KT88 tubes that might give a good comparison your Chinese KT88 amp.

Colin
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would have thought there was many (as already said) options.

Push pull:, kt88.6550/el34/807/300b/el84

Single ended: 845,211,Parallel 300b

and several I haven't thought of. I think a single 300b would work, but maybe start to run out of steam if you needed volum or complexity

As to which of the above you prefer, thats the big question.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ian walker
User

Post by ian walker »

Thanks guys thats just the stuff i'm after...pointers if you know what i mean. You see ive been using these with a pair of Naim 135s for the last 5yrs and although good they are only scratching the surface of what the speakers are capable of..stick a Naim 500 on the end of them and they turn into a different speaker altogether,then ive heard them running active with 3x500s driving them and they become a MONSTER with massive impact and scale that you wouldn't believe. Trouble is though i just havn't got £36000 knocking about at the moment to do it in fact i doubt i'll ever have it,so what i'm trying to do is get that sort of sound for alot less dosh.Ive tried a few things now including having a Hypex UcD 400 built for me which was just too polite..no boring to listen to and ive also tried various pro audio so called muscle amps but they dont cut it either.In fact i thought i was heading back to Naimland until i heard my mates kt88 last weekend,both of us looked at each other in shock at the size of the sound we were getting...and from a £300 valve amp from China!..So that got me thinking if this thing can do this what can a really goodun do......Im on a mission to find out!. :)
Ian.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

just my opinion, but starting with a pair of speakers and trying to get a sound that you heard using Naim 500s is asking an awful lot of any valve amp, whatever you try may never match up to your expectations, far better is to hear a number of different amps decide on a sound you like and then get speakers to match the amp
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

david C wrote: far better is to hear a number of different amps

On what ?

I sort of agree with you David,but how about 3 KT88 PP amps ?

With Chinese it would not be that expensive.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Even with three WD88VAs you're only talking about £3-4000, rather than £36000 for the Naims.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

pre65 wrote:
david C wrote: far better is to hear a number of different amps

On what ?

I sort of agree with you David,but how about 3 KT88 PP amps ?

With Chinese it would not be that expensive.

sorry Philip,
I meant hear other peoples amps with their speakers, maybe do some listening at a Fest,

It's just my thought that speakers designed to use Naim do not lend themselves to being driven by valves, you cannot reproduce a Naim sound using valves if that's what you are looking for,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
ed
retired

Post by ed »

another two penneth...search out and listen to a an aleph 3 or 4, or a Krell KSA50...you could build either for 2 or £300......many people say they bring the best of both worlds to the table(Naim and valves)
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I must be one of the only people here who hasn't heard a Naim anything whatsoever.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Must admit my life has also been Naimless !

Having found a sound you like so much i think it's right to try and capture it (on the cheap) ! :)

But also to listen to what some of us use as well to either reinforce your opinion,or perhaps even change your mind.

Edmund Burke

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Paul Barker wrote:I must be one of the only people here who hasn't heard a Naim anything whatsoever.
I did once, talk about ear splitting treble.....once was enough.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Ouch