Turntable Project

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Andy831
User

#1 Turntable Project

Post by Andy831 »

Chaps

Been talking with both Nick and Darren about a turntable project. The upshot is that it seems Idler drive is the probably the route I want to take and probably a Garrard 301/401, Mounted onto one of Darrens Plinths.

My question is really a favour.... before I get too giddy and buy a deck off fleabay its seems sensible to try and audition a deck or two to remind me just how good the Garrards can be as I have not heard one for 20 years (and then that was without the advantage of a high mass plinth.)

So anybody in the North got a 301 or 401 or hopefully both? If so I would be eternally grateful for the chance of a listen. I realise this might be a long shot but hey if you don`t ask you don`t get.

Regards

Andy
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I have quite a selection of decks
but most are mounted on 1" heavy ply
not to get the best.. just for testing them

a couple have sme 9" arms on that could be swapped over..

where are you..?

steve
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Hi Steve

I am near Nick In the West Riding Close to Halifax

Andy
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andy831 wrote:Hi Steve

I am near Nick In the West Riding Close to Halifax

Andy
Is that near Yorkshire Dales Road just off Yorkshire Moors Street :D

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Sorry about the capitalisation of close :oops: mi spellins wuz not mi best subject at skool
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andy831 wrote:Sorry about the capitalisation of close :oops: mi spellins wuz not mi best subject at skool
No worries Andy, it just made me giggle whe I read it. Very specific :lol:

DTB
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andy,

I'm about 40-mins drive from Nick's.

I don't have a garrard but a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Technoarm and rondo bronze you are welcome to come over and listen to.

I'm sure a workmate has a garrard 401 that i may be able to blag for a couple of days to compare, but he's not at work today to quiz.

Colin
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Thanks Colin that would be excellant if you could manage to grap the 401. The spacedeck I am familiar with, That is the table I have just sold with a view to going the Garrard Route.

If your in Rossendale your closer to me than Nick, I am in Blackshawhead between Burnley and Hebden Bridge on the moorland road Yorkshire side of the Windmills (if that makes sense lol)

Andy
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Andy,

Bad news I'm afraid. My work mate says he sold his Garrard deck last year and anyway it was fitted with a SME3009 arm and MM cartridge so really wouldn't have been a fair A-B comparison.

Sorry about that.

Regards

Colin
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Get over to Scarborough I have a 301 in a slate plinth.

Give me time though as the speakers and the amp are in bits as of yesterday, the tt and plinth have been two seperate parts since Darren sent the new plinth, I don't have a cartridge properly mounted on an arm. But I have a good kit of bits which will go together.

My only weak link is the phono stage, but I at least have one.

For my money, and everybody elses opinion will oppose this one, the 301 is better sounding than the 401 both are better sounding than the Lenco.

In a head to head between sp10 and 401 I couldn't call it. Actually I really like the DD's. But hay I have my 301 so no need for change. 301 is simpler and will outlast you. Darren can sort anything, so if you bought one from ebay and it turned out to have a small problem it could be overcome.

I wouldn't part with my 301 until I am on the street dying of exposure having been thrown out. I do hope that is not a self fulfilling prophecy.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Dave the Bass, Toppsdale is 4 blocks from Coronation street, whereas Nicksmill is right beside Emerdale. To you that's the distance between Tree estate and Fleet Estate.

Whereas the posher side (Scarborough) is like Cantebury to Tree estate Pilgrim.

But when you are coming I'll give you more acurate directions.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

You are not that far from me, but alas I have recently moved and nothing is set up as yet.

It will be a while, but it will also be an open house when ready.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Andy,

I can offer you some time on Fri 19th Jan (PM) or Sat Jan 19th. I'm near Altrincham. I have a 301 in a Slatedeck plinth. valve phono stage, TVC pre, 300B and 45 amps into OB speakers.

I love my 301 just about as much as Paul does his. There are other great decks but it's what I have, other great decks will be different but not necessarily better.

Cheers,

Clive
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Paul Barker wrote:Dave the Bass, Toppsdale is 4 blocks from Coronation street, whereas Nicksmill is right beside Emerdale. To you that's the distance between Tree estate and Fleet Estate.

Whereas the posher side (Scarborough) is like Cantebury to Tree estate Pilgrim.

But when you are coming I'll give you more acurate directions.
But....but..... on Heartbeat and The Royal all towns and villages in Yorkshire are only a 30 second clip of vaguley relevant 'pop' music apart from one another :shock: :D

Are you telling me none of you lot live in Aidensfield or Ashfordly!

I'm dispointed, I was hoping to get Bernie Scripps to service my Royal Enfield in black and white.... :)

DTB
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I could take you round all the sets from here in about a 2hr round trip on the back of a Royal Enfield Bullet if you provide it with a crash helmet as my last helpet hit a lamppost head on at 60 miles an hour.. so I thought it best to scrap it. Saved my life though, had just bought a new kevlar helmet that same week. Some would say by f8.