RIP sl15

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 RIP sl15

Post by cressy »

today i mounted my sl15 on the jbe/ol1 and discovered not all was well with the cartridge. at first i thought the distortion was coming from the amp somewhere so the off switch was flicked rather quickly. having a poke around and measuring voltages there was nothing amiss. so i flicked over to cd and no distortion. so not that. or the speakers.........

so i went back over to the deck and measured the arm cable continuity, stuck the meter probes in the outputs of the phono stage for a few minutes on ac to see if there were and strange spikes or anything untoward. there was nothing.

checked the alignment, the tracking weight, everything i could think of. eventually i noticed that the terminal block on the back was wobbly for some reason and that the cart seemed to be riding lower than it did before.

it seems that id inadvertently buggered it by where i stored it.

the glue holding the body to the mounting plate and generator seems to have perished and the suspension has collapsed. ive realised that the cupboard where it was stored has heating pipes running through the back of it, and when the fire is in (coal fire) the pipes in there carry the hot water from the boiler to the hot water tank (our house is odd, the hot water tank is downstairs). opening the door to it you can feel the heat from the pipes.

shit.

do cartridges have a disclaimer on the box that says 'store in a cool dry place like breakfast cereal? i never even thought about it :cry:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh bum .. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."