pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
pre65 wrote:
Greg wrote:There is no arm board...........silly billy :roll:
Well, the clue is in the advert. :wink:

Quote " Tonearm board can be customized for a variety of tonearm"
Ok, and in the image that started this thread, care to show me the armboard?
I will agree that the armboard does not seem to be visible in that particular photo.. :wink:

The first photo on the e-bay ad (see floppys link) does show two arms fitted, but it's not clear how they are attached. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

but it's not clear how they are attached.
So back to my original question :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
DewiSant
User

Post by DewiSant »

Nick wrote:
pre65 wrote:
Greg wrote:There is no arm board...........silly billy :roll:
Well, the clue is in the advert. :wink:

Quote " Tonearm board can be customized for a variety of tonearm"
Ok, and in the image that started this thread, care to show me the armboard?
sorry bout dat

cannot see it running very well like it is set up now - it looks like the top LH arm board unit is sitting on the belt :lol:
DewiSant
User

Post by DewiSant »

just looked on Ebay now and it appears as though he has sold one of these but the buyer has not left feedback - he does appear to sell quite a few of the mounted motors and a lot of 'mini tube amplifiers
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Not keen on the arm mounting, doesnt look rigid enough to me.

Never keen on moveable motors either, unless you have measuring equipment. Belt tension alters speed and flutter.

Belt quality is key with belt drives too.

Also, why publish speed error in turns!

Having said that, cheap enough i guess.
DewiSant
User

Post by DewiSant »

well I guess I have heard enough to put me off it - I had expected one of you members to have one if it was any use at all - thanks
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

DewiSant wrote:well I guess I have heard enough to put me off it - I had expected one of you members to have one if it was any use at all - thanks
You won't find that many on here singing the praises of a belt drive deck.

If you like DIY, get a cheap Lenco GL75 or GL78 off e-bay (£25 could be enough) and read up on ALL the things that can be done to it. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, I don;t know if thats true or not, I know a lot of the more vocal may not, but I know of a few who have belt drive decks and are happy with them.

It looks like a interesting deck, I think the reason why most around here would not have one, is in general we are cheapskates, and £800 on a single component is a big chunk oif cash.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
Well, I don;t know if thats true or not, I know a lot of the more vocal may not, but I know of a few who have belt drive decks and are happy with them.
I chose my words most carefully.(for a change). :lol: :lol:

Edmund Burke

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I must admit that if I had a spare 800 quid I would buy one, double motors has always fascinated me, reports suggest it cures a lot of belt drive problems, it does look quite spectacular too, could you imagine that on your rack
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

personally i think it could have potential, it seems to have some sound engineering principles used in its design. like graham in not sure about the arm mounting but the platter and main plinth look to have been designed with some thought. i like the idea of the towers with the ceramic ballbearings and 'ding nitrile' decoupling. (assuming the feet are the ding nitrile whatever the proper translation is) seems like a well thought out deck. im not sure such a long belt is ideal, but for that kind of money id say it could be good enough to justify its price. whats available on the uk market at that kind of money? stuff from project, second hand lp12, might just about get and early gyrodeck or a reasonable 401. depends if someone is willing to take a chance i suppose
DewiSant
User

Post by DewiSant »

aw come on now lads I had resigned myself to it 'would be a waste of money' now you pair are coming in with it could be a tidy deck for the money and could have some potential -

I believe the arm mount is attached to the deck between the two layers of perspex actually on the mounting pillars -

I believe I am going to have to email him and ask for some pics of the way it's mounted -

why are his mounted motor units so popular ? are they replacements for duff ones ?? or just for peoples own projects??

how can they be replacements if as it seems he has only sold one - unless perhaps he is not the only seller of this deck
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

clearaudio used to mount their arms on acrylic fixed to the posts,so it does work quite successfully, personally I would only want one arm so I'm not to fussed if it looks like one is fouling the belt
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Shouldn't be too hard to engineer an idler drive along the same lines as the Terminator. I like the idea of modular construction.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

thats exactly what i was thinking shane, i had a good look at the separate motor and it looks to be ideal for an idler project. dunno if anyone remembers the idler i built out of an lp12 bearing and platter using a lenco motor and idler,but the main problem i had was with the motor. i'd mounted it vertically and the vibration from it mounted this way was the insurmountable obstacle i ran into. this one however look like it would have solved that problem rather neatly.

the motors on their own are not that expensive either if you look at the 300 odd quid that origin live charge for their dc motors.

ive got a td150 that im looking at building my own deck out of and im very tempted by one of these motors for the project i have in mind.

honestly, if i could justify the 800 quid for one of these i would buy one. but i cant as most of my redundancy money is earmarked for a new car and some training courses :D

factor into the price of one of these an isokinetik rb251, an ortofon 2m red and the shipping, id bed a grand to 1100 quid would get you a very nice deck. and if its a little off the pace compared to the latest and greatest in the uk market, (dont forget you could spend 1500 quid on one of the top regas which to me is ridiculous. but thats just my opinion) just look at it.......... its certainly a looker