Thoroughly depressed

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Thoroughly depressed

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've just come home from a chum's where we compared an SME5 with a Schroeder.

His set up is not bad atall but tonight was just for comparison. We used a late Miles Davis funky album (for simple stuff) and Prokofiev's Cantata for the 29th Anniversary of the October Revolution (one of the most dynamic and incomprehensible pieces of orchestral music I have come across). Together these pieces are quite a test.

Andy's turntable is a huge chunk of circular wood from the USA. He has ordered the direct drive motor but right now it is a belt of copper(?) foil.

The SME5 isn't bad but in comparison it is utterly wanting. The Schroeder gently but assertively just says 'listen to this' and delivers the goods beautifully. Andy uses the same type and age of cartridge on both arms, with all its shortcomings and strengths; the Denon103R.

My home picnic player sounds crap. full stop.

His system really is very interesting and ... push pull amp! well I never.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I think Will may have been trying to say something good happens with the Schroeder sort of idea for some time.
Last edited by Nick on Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes it might be better than Vic's air bearing.
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Well its a bit like I'me thinking about making A unipivot lar de dar de dar.
and spending 3 weeks discussing ruby cups.
I've posted one to a uni chap and never got a reply to say he got the bloody thing.
There seems to be only James that has one working and he was taking detailed photo's on Sunday.
Paul if you are want to try this arm I have the complete 12" ebony arm we were talking about doing nothing and needs a simple gallows construction magnet for the base I have.
The hum at the fest was phono V power amp power supply and a cathode cap in the pre amp that came adrift, now back to normal, well better now the speakers have been run in by Nicks amp. Lucky SteveS, joking, did you see his face light up during his lap of honour. Good job we fixed the result so he would bring his 300a's on Sunday :lol:
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks Will, yes please.

Not dissing vic, cause his arm is very good, but there are a few small issues that make it impractical some of the time.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You are not helping me with my depression boys!

Will, whereas on Saturday I thought your system didn't sound so good (and I don't mean the hum) on Sunday it was lovely. You didn't do anything to change things did you?

Vic's arm seems a little impractical for me (and frustratingly he lives just up the road) but then I'd never trust my clumsy self with something such as a real schroeder. Mayware will do fine, for now.

The rest of this chap's system is Lynne Olson and IzzyWizzy Audio influenced with Tannoy Westminsters to finish off with. Not bad at all. But he does have a big dedicated listening room, too.
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Agree Andrew, it sounded phasey maybe the hanging poly cap grounded itself on Sunday.

Paul PM me your Address.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Steve Robinson was it then Andrew ?

Good comparison SME V vs Schroeder, interested to read those comments - confirms what I'd expect .

MJ
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've heard the name Steve Robinson, but can't connect.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Steve Robinson it was, Mark.

I went to see Andy last night. His direct drive motor had arrived and was fitted. It was quick and easy to compare. Remember, my chum has a huge and beautiful wooden platter from USA and the Schroeder is fitted. The SME5 never gets used now.

This upgrade was about £500 - yikes!

I was utterly blown away. Sure there have been a couple of mods to the preamp. As it was so easy to compare direct drive with belt the difference was obvious and startling and coming from the deck. Andy played a piano concerto by Busoni (very complicated) a Mozart piano concert. (sweet) Miles Davis being funky and Joni Mitchell's Blue.

My theory is that the 'noise floor' has dropped right down. Hence the deck has lost some 'muddiness'. This is relative because the deck was superb before the changes. Now I'd never go back (if it were mine). The muddiness is noise on the old belt drive setup causing intermodulation distortion as the harmonics rise through the music ...

The direct drive has no noise, so you hear the signal in beautiful pristine clarity and frightening dynamic range. A huge step change.

Hm, Private Eye has a place for the above :wink:

The best I've heard? Yep.

Expensive? Yep.

Oh and Andy is still using a Denon 103R !!!! he has plans of course.