Digitally Re-Mastered vinyl

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
It seems to be the common idea that they didnt know what they were doing in the studio with the new kit.
Hmmm, I dunno. Maybe. I think they did know what they were doing, they were using what was available to them, sometimes in beta format admittedly. There were a lot very experienced engineers out there, OK, there were young up and coming ones too. What they were doing was creating a new sound, that new sound would (and did) sell records and CD's. Yes, artistically it wasn't purely 100% led by the band for sure although some did embrace the new digital age whole-heartedly and I'm sure the record co's and marketing bods had an input/push in the 'new' sound too.

Digital-ready Bands/product? :-)

Nick wrote:I dont think the engineers went to bed one night with one set of ears, and woke up the next day with a new set that had lost their analytical facility.
Deffo, but all of a sudden what they had to work with was a totally new way of 'organising' and controlling sounds. Its like the aural equivalent of the dye colours. For years you only had a set palette to work with....then along come the colour 'Mauve', thanks to Mr William Perkins. It was 'a gaudy and in yer face colour' (to quote a fave textile artiste of mine) but even Queen Vic (not the pub) had to have summat in it.

If I was recording engineer back then and a fella said 'you know that naff and dated snare sound you got on 'X' artists LP back in 1980??? Well...we've got summat that could 'fix' that for you, it might keep you working for a few more years yet'... I'd be inclined to use it. An awful lot!

It seems us humans really work hard towards 'change' and 'new'...attain it...thrash it.... then when we've got it nailed.... we realise its not so good later on so then diss it :lol:

I know I do!

Brill discussion. Aaarghhh, Bars closing, 'nuther beer?!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes, artistically it wasn't purely 100% led by the band for sure
Just to go off in a slightly different direction prompted by that phrase. I was ranting at work the other day just what a genius Brian Eno was. And I think if you apply your quote to the first U2 recording produced by Eno, the figure was shirly far less than 100%, and all the better for it.

Yes, I know its a wander, and I am not saying its relevant to the digital sound thread, but train of consciousness posting or what :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Chris Blackwell (of Island Records) didn't appear to be 100% behind Eno's involvement though ...its said that he ... " initially tried to talk them out of hiring Eno, believing that just when the band were about to achieve the highest levels of success, Eno would "bury them under a layer of avant-garde nonsense".

:lol:

DTB
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

avant-garde nonsense
You just described half my record collection. Dire Straits would be the quintessential CD band? DTB is right. Give recordists a new toy, and they will use it to death to fix perceived problems. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you autotune.
In single malt we trust.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

stevieg wrote:
Dire Straits would be the quintessential CD band?
Interesting, that. My very first experience with CD was when exhibiting at a show in Crewe for Heybrook. Peter C managed to blag a pre-production player off Philips and a copy of the only CD available, which was Dire Straits' Love Over Gold. First we played the LP on a TT2 through EAR509s and Heybrook HB3s, then with huge anticipation we plugged in the CD. What a disappointment. Tonally not that different, but flat, boring and lifeless. What did amaze me was that the audience, who had tapped and jiggled all the way throught the LP sat stock still during the CD, but unanimously agreed that the CD was far better because of the lack of surface noise.

Thus the scene was set for the next 30-odd years!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I am reminded of the 'ghetto-blasters' with extra tweeters and wotnot which were 'CD ready'. Or was it metal tape? Anyway I'm presuming that the ploy was that the expected response of the great unwashed would be to hear 'better treble', so the treble was simply shoved up more and more tweeters added. :D

Re the Kate Bush HOL, I'm guessing by the sound of it this would be the later remastered version, the original (1985) was analogue. Actually it was all analogue up to The Red Shoes (1993), which started out as analogue then changed onto DAT early on in the recording.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote:
Re the Kate Bush HOL, I'm guessing by the sound of it this would be the later remastered version, the original (1985) was analogue.

You sure about that our-Mike? The Fairlight CMI was used heavily on HOL. If thats not a contributor to the 'digital' sound of that LP/CD in all guises then I'm a twin-headed Purple Elephant named Geraldine!

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Geraldine, whatya doing tonight ? :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Hi Geraldine, whatya doing tonight ? :wink: :lol:
I'm staying in and doing my hair on both my (purple) heads!

Thanks for asking though :-)

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

stevieg wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, I give you autotune.
Word bro!

Autotune used as a (very successful) product-shifting selling effect ->

Autotune used to 'buff' an ace 'pop' record (IMO) ->

Autotune getting overused and a bit boring now -> http://www.everybluddyrecordmadethesedays.com !

:-)

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote:
Mike H wrote:
Re the Kate Bush HOL, I'm guessing by the sound of it this would be the later remastered version, the original (1985) was analogue.

You sure about that our-Mike? The Fairlight CMI was used heavily on HOL. If thats not a contributor to the 'digital' sound of that LP/CD in all guises then I'm a twin-headed Purple Elephant named Geraldine!

DTB
Yep, good point, it worth remembering that it was the same time that digital instruments were everywhere. It seemed impossible to escape the DX7 sounds as I seem to remember.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ye-es, what I meant was the recording went onto analogue tape. True that what went on could include synthesized stuff :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:Ye-es, what I meant was the recording went onto analogue tape. True that what went on could include synthesized stuff :D

So, would that be DAA ? :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Trying to think of a suitable retort...

stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

I passed up a "digitally remastered" vinyl copy of Kraftwerk's Autobahn t'other day. No doubt fully fully approved by the Kling Klang Shadow Masters, but just seemed wrong to me. If I want a digital copy I may as well download.
In single malt we trust.