cartridge loading (failed!!)

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
davebms
User

#1 cartridge loading (failed!!)

Post by davebms »

hello all i have a( QED variable cartridge equalizer) so tried it ,and it made no diferance . this thing has 5 dip switches 2 resistance 3 capacitance the snag is that it puts r+c in parallel so it can only lower the load and increase capacitance.i think ? the opposite to what i wanted ! the load should not be a problem new larger resisters the QED will bring load down BUT the existing capacitors are 560pf 600volt and polorised(BIG RED DOT ON ONE END) clear plastic 3/16od 1/2inch long the phono is a audio reaearch sp9 mk2. the instructions state DO NOT REMOVE THE CAPACITORS
any thoughts on what type of caps i should look for :?:

i did have some succsess the michell armplate de-coupling kit is very good (much better than blue- tak. and the dynavector is better nude(no plastic cover) but what type of caps to try

dave
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: cartridge loading (failed!!)

Post by Mike H »

davebms wrote:BUT the existing capacitors are 560pf 600volt and polorised(BIG RED DOT ON ONE END) clear plastic 3/16od 1/2inch long
Sounds like polystyrene, which isn't polarized. However the red dot may indicate which end is connected to the outside layer, which may be important to avoid interference pick-up and suchlike.

the instructions state DO NOT REMOVE THE CAPACITORS
Try it and see! Can't blow up surely. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
davebms
User

#3 Re: cartridge loading (failed!!)

Post by davebms »

Mike H wrote:
davebms wrote:BUT the existing capacitors are 560pf 600volt and polorised(BIG RED DOT ON ONE END) clear plastic 3/16od 1/2inch long
Sounds like polystyrene, which isn't polarized. However the red dot may indicate which end is connected to the outside layer, which may be important to avoid interference pick-up and suchlike.

the instructions state DO NOT REMOVE THE CAPACITORS
Try it and see! Can't blow up surely. :D

i think you are correct they look like polystyrene type but why are they 600volts rated the load resistors are also large at 2watt type the input feede a FET then on to the grid of a 6922 valve poss they are large for sound quality ? RS have them but only at 125 volt

dave
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Sorry I have no idea!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."