Interconnect - arm to phono stage

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Clive
Old Hand

#1 Interconnect - arm to phono stage

Post by Clive »

Has anyone got suggestions for what I should try as for an MC level interconnect between the phono outputs from Vic's Ladegaard arm and my TX-103 SUTs?

I have been using line-level interconnect. I can't help feeling that the amount of metal involved is too great.

I could get some silk covered copper litz from Vic, the same as the arm uses.

Screening may not be too vital, at the moment I have some Nordost cable with no screen or even twists. There's no RF pick up.

I do have some 24 swg / 0.56mm magnet wire, even if this sounds good I'd imagine it would snap as I swap connections to play 78's every so often.

Any other suggestions based on what's worked for you?

Clive
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I'd be tempted to go for a continuous run of the silk stuff - I know this will bring its own problems but......those connectors and low level signals.....

cheers,

-- Andrew
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Yup, Vic's sending me a 5 pin socket and enough wire for 80cm to 1m of i/c, there will be just one break in the cable, which I think is a good compromise. It allows me to swap wands easily, so I can listen to my Pickering....not. More importantly my 78's with a Shure 78 stylus.

This is part of a review I'm doing vs the OL Encounter mk III.

Cheers,

Clive
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Clive,

I'll be interested in any conclusions you come to on this. Apart from Vic's arm which I still have not set up, I'm also wondering about the leads from my Mayware. I've aquired a nice plug and have been contemplating using the WD Teflon insulated screened silver plated twin I/C they sell. Apart from anything else, a pair of cables of this stuff will fit nicely into the plug.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,

Greg
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

you could try this, Greg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=019

I hasten to add that I haven't tried either myself, but I think Andrew Ivimey uses the twin screened.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

must admit that litz wire that Vic sells does look quite good,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
François
User

Post by François »

Last edited by François on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Shane,

Thanks very much for that link. That wire appears to be the same stuff WD sell for interconnects at £9-95 a metre. 50' at that price is a very good deal even if it does have to be shipped from USA. IPL Acoustics used to sell this stuff albeit a slightly heavier grade and again it was dear in comparison. I've rated this stuff for a long time when used for psuedo balanced I/C's and signal hook-up within the chassis. This is exactly the stuff I was referring to for finishing my Mayware. A 50' order should last me for ever. Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Greg
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

He charges 10.10 usd to ship to the UK. I just ordered 50' of twin screened plus 20' of the arm wire, total came to £21. Bit of a bargain, really. Thanks to Andrew I who told me about him. Add some decent Neutrics from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-NEUTRIK-RCA- ... dZViewItem and you've got some decent ICs for next to nothing.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

I've just made up the phono cable with Vic's litz wire, phonos one end and the 5 -way header on the other for a direct connection to the arm.

Compared to my Nordost Red Dawn (over £200 but luckily a review sample) I found it hard to detect much difference. So I've wasted my time, except that I suppose I now know the result. FYI, the Nordost measures 0.1 ohm, the litz 0.5 ohm.

Cheers,

Clive
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Can you make the Vic cable shorter, obviously it would be a shame to cut the Nordost but that may help with the Litz cable?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

I can't make it much shorter, it's about 0.7m currently. I have a gut feel that the cable's not effecting the sound very much.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Fair enough, the only other 'culprit', if there is a villian in this scenario could be the connector, but that's a simple trade for convenience. I have the same conundrum with my Garrard and the Odyssey arms, Darren made me a long universal base and an adaptor for the arms, now I can't wait to try it when the slate arrives.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Yeah, connections were part of my motivation. I've eliminated a phono socket/plug pair so there's only one connector in the cable but there seems little benefit in doing so. I do need one connector as I have 3 wands, including one for a Pickering....I could have full runs of cable to the phono stage for each wand but that's getting overly anal.