Hello from Mid Wales

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ali is a source of much info about that amp having had one I believe.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes indeed,a good amp,one of the few decent quality Chinese amps.I didn't do a great deal to mine,just new coupling caps,which is well worth doing.I also changed resistors to up the current to the driver valves,which gives a more authoritative sound with better bass.I changed the valves too,using 6ca7's on the front end,which are cheap as chips on the bay.For driver valves,you can use KT66,88 or 5881's.I had some Svet 5881's which I found very good.I also put some Shuguang 845b's in,which are a lot better than the basic ones.That's about it I think.Oh yes,remove the tranny covers and check what voltage the trannies are as some are 220,in which case I'd run it with a variac or bucking transformer.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Something else-I believe Nick has in the past rewired one to all triode front end,he reckoned this was worth doing.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote:...... or bucking transformer.
Language!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote:Something else-I believe Nick has in the past rewired one to all triode front end,he reckoned this was worth doing.
But was a far from simple job, removing the PCB, and fitting chassis valve holders.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
captains log
User

Post by captains log »

Well.... this is an interesting amp.....

Thanks for all the info people. I will have to start a new thread in the appropriate place about the mods I have done to the amp....

Thanks again
Regards

John