Arm cable resistance

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Clive
Old Hand

#1 Arm cable resistance

Post by Clive »

I've re-wired my Terminator wand with screened silver wire. I use a London (Decca) cartridge, these are prone to hum so I need screened wire. I take the arm cable with no breaks directly to the phono stage. Originally I had 1.5m of wire, I found the sound was flat in comparison to a short arm cable with a 1m interconnect. I've now shortened the arm wire to 1m and sound is back to being really good. The wire is about 30pF per foot, maybe this is one aspect - the cartridge is supposed to need 220pF.

Now for the question: the very thin internal wire measures 5R over 1m. I could find a way to place my phono stage beside my deck so that the arm cable would probably measure 3R. I may end up with too bright a sound due to reducing capacitance but I can add capacitance. Given that the coils in the London (Decca) are 2k ohms should I worry about reducing the cable resistance from 5R to 3R? Is this likely to improve dynamics?

BTW a short arm cable + 1m of interconnect measure around 2R, so that's the best I can achieve but this includes connectors I want to banish.

Happy New Year everyone!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Personally I doubt it, what load is it driving into?

Then again, I can't explain why removing a foot of cable would make any difference either.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I don't think there's an easy answer to this one Clive, apart perhaps, from the one you have identified , get the phono as close to the deck as possible.

I agree, connectors are generally a bad thing, but in this case, could they be a necessary evil :?:
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Thanks Nick and Andrew, the load is 47k so again a couple of ohms should be immaterial. I agree loosing 30pF to 50pF shouldn't have made a big difference.

As for the connectors....there a 2, one from the wand, then some wire to a pair of phonos. I've tried a couple of i/cs from the arm phonos, neither is quite right whereas using the arm wire all the way to phono stage seems to be the best of all.

I've got a hankering to shorten the arm wire further but I find the current length of wire more convenient for the placement of the phono stage. I don't like the idea of a 5R wire really but 3R isn't that much better I suppose.