Learning about Vinyl and 1st pressings

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Deepelem
User

#1 Learning about Vinyl and 1st pressings

Post by Deepelem »

Hello .. I have just dragged my old Vinyl's out of the attic after 15 years and am putting my system back together .. going through my albums I am looking to replace worn out / damaged LP's with good used examples. So being new to this I hit E Bay and places and see that 1st pressings of many of my old classic rock/folk albums are making big money .. So I would like to learn how to identify a valuable 1st pressing from a later reissue ..
So just to get the ball rolling on this I just bought a supposed 1st pressing of Led Zep Physical Graffiti .. now is there anyone in the know out there who can tell me what I should have paid for it .. Grades are Excellent + for Vinyl and VG ++ for sleeve and Exc + for Inners ..
My motivation here is to get some really nice playing records to replace my old ones .. and also maybe have something to leave my son which might be worth some money in another 40 years time when he is my age .. haha ... and maybe get to know a few folks into the same thing so we can maybe swap, compare cleaning methods .. phono stages .. etc etc .. ... and for me anyway .. ..... to learn ! ! Cheers ... Brian
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi,

Mark J (IslandPink) is one person I know who seems to have a handle on matrix numbers and all that stuff, maybe other here also. Dont know if Mark is about at the moment but I am sure he will be along some time soon.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Labels

Post by IslandPink »

Did someone mention my name ?

Brian - my best advice - get a copy ( current or recent ) of the Record Collector price guide . Otherwise you'll have to look at the year of issue of your album and find a website that shows the label styles chronologically .

Physical Graffiti is one of the later albums and does not list in record collector, meaning it should cost less than £12 even for a mint item .

Generally the big-money rock albums are first-issues from the 60's and early 70's when vinyl was VINYL and Gatefolds were the style ; later on the money is only in rarities / limited editions, or first albums from bands who sold poorly at first then hit the big time .

Mark
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Where ya bin for do long, Mark? welcome back!?!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hmm, you mention his name and he appears, where have I heard that before?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

As if by magic, a shopkeeper appears? Probably not what you were thinking, Nick, but it evoked memories from my childhood ;)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ahh, yes, the shopkeeper, that was a strange program wasn't it.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote:Ahh, yes, the shopkeeper, that was a strange program wasn't it.
There were quite a few 'strange' children's programs about at the time, if I recall. I suppose there are today as well, come to think of it...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andrew wrote: There were quite a few 'strange' children's programs about at the time, if I recall. I suppose there are today as well, come to think of it...
An early introduction to different music styles for me this one...

Bod's main theme is soooo groovin'.

'Cool Cat' was a slinky double bass part but I can't find it.

No wonder I'm warped, I was fed on large quantities of sweets filled with every 'E' number known to mankind and watched bod a lot :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I'd forgotten about 'Bod', Rhubarb and Custard was a particular favourite, everything was purple, wasn't it?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andrew wrote:I'd forgotten about 'Bod', Rhubarb and Custard was a particular favourite, everything was purple, wasn't it?
..along with most of my sweets... and pills :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Where have I been ?
Sitting staring at a load of part-completed projects hoping to get some energy or time to complete even one of them ... sigh ... but listening to ( and buying ) a lot of music , thankfully .

Now, on the kids program theme , I can now play my trump card :
The mother of my school-friend Andrew knows the lady who knitted the Clangers

Would like to be closer-related, but it's still a peach of a fact I think

MJ

Hey Dave, while I'm feeling smug , have you seen the price of a First-label copy of 'Five Leaves Left' on EBay recently ?? Maybe I don't need to raise my pension contributions !
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

flippin'eck - the Clangers! respect.... ahhhumm maybe :wink:

anyway, glad you are back. You are back aren't you! Surely the rubbish we go on about inspires you just a little?

If it weren't for the wags and the wisdom from some of us, I'd give up an just listen to music.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hi Andrew
I think I'd get stuck in more if I could complete one of these projects . Currently I'm held up with aluminium, trying to sort boxes . I'm trying to find the right place to sub-contract (a) a custom box for the Pass F4 and (b) a nice top-plate for the phono re-build . Once I get my finger out and do these I will be able to get the final build done day by day ( in the case of the F4 that is ) and a big push for 2-3 days on the phono later .
Currently we are coming into the 'dry season' which is good for photography though ; also terrific snow at the moment in N.Wales though I'm hampered by flu right now ( poss Swine flu ? ) .

When's the next Egg/Owst-meat ? I must put it down in the diary properly .

Mark
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

When's the next Egg/Owst-meat ?
Though I am a meat eater myself, you might upset the veggies in our little group and so we cater for all tastes in food as well as music at our Fests. :lol:

I'm sure you'll get some replies from DTB, Both Simon's and the other non-meat eaters, so be prepared :wink: