Techy 1210 bullshit

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

pre65 wrote:Just out of interest did your old 1210 have the technics arm fitted ?
Yes it was standard unmodded 1210. The same as my PL-71 is a standard unmodded PL-71 and they ain't in the same town let alone street.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

In the old days Technics did an armless version of their top turntables so one could select whatever arm (usually SME 3009) was required.

From what I have read (and been told by a couple of owners) the Rega 300 in an Origin live base was a good upgrade ! Was the 1210 ever available armless ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You could say the SP10 and the 401 were on opposite corners of this musical parameter.
Yep, I can associate myself with that, moving from a Lenco to a SP10, things were lost as well as gained. I found some of what was lost was recovered by the use of the longer arm tube on a Hadcock, and I think I am still tweeking phono stages to match (and complement) the character of the SP10. For me, in my situation and kit, I found going from wood CLD plinth to a slate one was a big movement in the right direction, but we are all different.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Any one here own an EMT?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I believe Mo has at least one. (or he did have when we last talked about them).

Has anyone heard from him lately ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, I spoke to him on the phone last night.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Jerry has one.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

How do people perceive the differences between the available rim drives - Garrard, Lenco, EMT.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:How do people perceive the differences between the available rim drives - Garrard, Lenco, EMT.
Is there someone here who has an opinion. I owned a 401 with Decca London arm and cart back in the early 70's, and I couldn't stop the bugger humming, so gave up on it. That is my only experience of rim drives apart from the obligatory SP25 which was my first turntable.

Anyway, fancy maybe dabbling my feet again, looking for opinions.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I used a Lenco for some time, replaced it with a sp10. There are some things about how the Lenco did bass that I miss, on the whole I prefer the sp10. mainly for the way it doesn't impose its own rather bouncy enthuisatiic quality. But the sound the lenco made was great, especially if you were in a upbeat mood. The Lenco replaced a valhalla'd lp12, to my ears, that was a big improvement in every way.