Techy 1210 bullshit

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#1 Techy 1210 bullshit

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So is it true as some over inflated ego motivated individuals try to get you to believe. A DJ based turntable is the best thing on the planet??

Well I owned one and I think not, but who heard the comparisons at this thing in Owston, was the Techy the bees knees when having about a grands worth of mods on it or was a Lenco or a Garrard or EMT or an old Pioneer DD that can cost less than £100 better? Were there any belt drives there? I haven't heard one I could now live with, the nearest I got was one I built in the late 80's but even that was flawed, which is why I now use an old Pioneer PL-71 DD with an SPU gold or a Shure M3D as the mood takes me.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I suppose if you want to buy "brand new" and can afford all the mods the Technics DJ ( :wink: :lol: ) turntable is capable of a very good performance.

But,as you say,there are several "old" turntables that can be just as good,or better.

We don't get the same kind of posts here about what is "best",because we know that "best" can be done (usually) more than one way and we are tollerant of other peoples views.

Any criticism here is normally constructive or tongue in cheek and it is rare for upsets to occur. That does not mean we can't speak our minds, or express our views but the need to convince another that they are wrong is absent.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

pre65 wrote:I suppose if you want to buy "brand new" and can afford all the mods the Technics DJ ( :wink: :lol: ) turntable is capable of a very good performance.

But,as you say,there are several "old" turntables that can be just as good,or better.

We don't get the same kind of posts here about what is "best",because we know that "best" can be done (usually) more than one way and we are tollerant of other peoples views.

Any criticism here is normally constructive or toung in cheek and it is rare for upsets to occur. That does not mean we can't speak our minds, or express our views but the need to convince another that they are wrong is absent.
Sounds like my sort of place, but if you are right it is pretty unique amoungst the fora. They all seem dominated by cliques, or gangs of friends (mods) and their accumulated masturbators.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well, the thing is, the majority of the regular posters meet up twice a year at Owston or Eggborough and there are local groups who meet up more regularly, so we all know each other reasonably well.

I think that helps, and our meetings are exchanges of info rather than a competition.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, as I said in another post. The 1210 sounded very good, as did the sp10 (in slate plinth) and 401 in slate plinth. Given the surroundings and nature of the event I can't say any more about the individual performances, but none of them seemed to be lacking. We didnt do a direct comparison, but a Lenco earlier in the day sounded good, but I think Steve (its owner) has other cartridge based issues to address.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

the technics is certainly a very very good deck with various tweaks performed as it has benefitted from 30 years constant development. to me there is no be all or end all to decks. there is no 'you must have one of these' deck, or suchlike.

i personally have sampled far too many decks and have still not come to a preference. my current deck is a yamaha pf 800 belt drive that uses a dc motor, massive heavy platter and a clever twin tube arm. others on here know my penchant for everything and anything turntable related and for me this deck is spot on for my system as it is now. not for how it was 6 months ago, and possibly not in the future. i tried a comparison of idler, belt drive and direct drive decks in the shape of a denon dp2000 dd, lenco gl75 in a slate plinth and the yamaha. i came to the conclusion that there wasnt a conclusion :?: :lol:

and personally i like that conclusion!
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

cressy wrote:the technics is certainly a very very good deck with various tweaks performed as it has benefitted from 30 years constant development. to me there is no be all or end all to decks. there is no 'you must have one of these' deck, or suchlike.

i personally have sampled far too many decks and have still not come to a preference. my current deck is a yamaha pf 800 belt drive that uses a dc motor, massive heavy platter and a clever twin tube arm. others on here know my penchant for everything and anything turntable related and for me this deck is spot on for my system as it is now. not for how it was 6 months ago, and possibly not in the future. i tried a comparison of idler, belt drive and direct drive decks in the shape of a denon dp2000 dd, lenco gl75 in a slate plinth and the yamaha. i came to the conclusion that there wasnt a conclusion :?: :lol:

and personally i like that conclusion!
Well I have been comparing for over 40 years and I have come to conclusions.

1 I want a Pioneer P3a, about £15k if you find one in Japan.
2 I would love to play with a good EMT, but they are so bloody ugly.
3 Lencos and Garards 301 and 401 rim drives are great fun and out Linn a Linn in funkyness, but have bass in tune as well unlike the Linn. - But like the Linn they struggle with classical. + but lots of musical colours.
4 The 1210 is bland and cold and the SP10 is grey and CD like.
5 With lots of musical colours the PL-71 is just a great synergy, does all music extremely well with almost the fun of a rim drive. The arm is a doosy and the lack of a phase lock is a bonus, just some trannys flip flopping.

Why doesn't anyone talk about taking the phase lock off the 1210.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a slow motion plane crash :wink:

The Techie sounded good Richard as did my PL-71, infact all the decks sounded fine. Marco wanted to hear the PL-71 and did the comparison so he could get a feel of what it sounded like against his Techie...

The Owston format is not a place to compare and judge, anybody trying to do so should plan to go somewhere else or arrange a home meet to compare. Owston is a meet for like minded people to chat, have a few (too many) beers, joke and compare notes...oh and they may even learn something....

Marco's TT is in no way bland and cold, the opposite actually with loads of detail and very good bass extension and control. Like wise my SP10 in slate plinth came as a bit of a surprise as it sounded nothing like a CD and there was nothing 'Grey' about its presentation....so lets hit those preconception's right on the head.

So no TT better than another, just different presentations and a very enjoyable two days.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:

Well I have been comparing for over 40 years and I have come to conclusions.

2 I would love to play with a good EMT, but they are so bloody ugly.
3 Lencos and Garards 301 and 401 rim drives are great fun and out Linn a Linn in funkyness, but have bass in tune as well unlike the Linn. - But like the Linn they struggle with classical. + but lots of musical colours.
4 The 1210 is bland and cold and the SP10 is grey and CD like.
5 With lots of musical colours the PL-71 is just a great synergy, does all music extremely well with almost the fun of a rim drive. The arm is a doosy and the lack of a phase lock is a bonus, just some trannys flip flopping.

Why doesn't anyone talk about taking the phase lock off the 1210.
Hi Bunsen-some interesting observations !

I think you need to invite yourself to one of our gatherings (like last weekend) and hear what some of those turntables sound like now when mounted in slate plinths and with love and attention heaped on them.

I don't think anyone is goint to "rant" about you dissing their favourite turntable as "your view" is "your view" and that is allowed here. :wink: :wink: :lol:

PS what would be really interesting would be to hear of any "tricks" you had developed to "improve" the performance of any of your previously owned turntables.

Edmund Burke

Gerry
User

Post by Gerry »

Richard

P3a for £15,000!! You can pick them up for about £2.5-£3k plus shipping etc. At Current exchange rates.
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a slow motion plane crash Wink
Neal
It has all the signs of doing so. Fasten your seat belts.....

Regards
Gerry
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Neal wrote: Like wise my SP10 in slate plinth came as a bit of a surprise as it sounded nothing like a CD and there was nothing 'Grey' about its presentation....so lets hit those preconception's right on the head.
Hi Neal, how did the SP10 respond to the recent electronics tune up? I'm interested to know what sort of difference this made.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Hi Clive, the electronics tune up has helped, the improvement was small TBH and more a piece of mind exercise....it wasn't too far out in the first place....however I felt there was still something not quite right so the week before Owston I spent some time tweaking....I added some O rings under the SME309 to isolate it from the plinth but made the mistake of tightening it down too much.

The sound was lifeless and dull...so I backed the mounting screws off until they just nipped the arm in place with the O rings and the sound did open up but I was still left with a sense of disinterest when listening, so on the Friday I swapped out the Rondo Bronze for the re-tipped Kontra B and managed to snatch a few mins listening before heading off to Owston. It sounded good and pretty darn good at Owston....

I've not managed to un pack yet but hope to get a proper listen this week sometime....
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Neal wrote:I hope this thread doesn't turn into a slow motion plane crash :wink:

The Techie sounded good Richard as did my PL-71, infact all the decks sounded fine. Marco wanted to hear the PL-71 and did the comparison so he could get a feel of what it sounded like against his Techie...

The Owston format is not a place to compare and judge, anybody trying to do so should plan to go somewhere else or arrange a home meet to compare. Owston is a meet for like minded people to chat, have a few (too many) beers, joke and compare notes...oh and they may even learn something....

Marco's TT is in no way bland and cold, the opposite actually with loads of detail and very good bass extension and control. Like wise my SP10 in slate plinth came as a bit of a surprise as it sounded nothing like a CD and there was nothing 'Grey' about its presentation....so lets hit those preconception's right on the head.

So no TT better than another, just different presentations and a very enjoyable two days.
No preconceptions - observations! if I had been there I would also have made observations, this thread is to find others observations, plus a little troll aimed at egocentric dictators.

All heard in my systems over the years, plus I have owned a large number of them, so no preconceptions. So it is *my* subjective assessment from experience which is what the forum is about I presumed.

I owned a 1210 and have heard two SP10's with different arms and cartrides in my system including one with I Should Coco's magic powered cartridge, it out CDed a best CD player IMO.

Plus I do not understand why anyone cannot hear the differences at an effective dem and analysis as for me they are usually as clear as a bell. I normally find that if you cannot hear difference then blame the system or the environment, not that they don't exist. Preference comes from those differences and the emotion of personal choice enters the fray, which is as it should be. Though I must admit I am playing devils advocate a bit with this thread as I am heartily sick of certain people ramming their *personal* choices down your throat, as with the current thread at ZG foisted on everyone by the AOS crowd. So I am far more open minded than perhaps I seem, but music is music not just Hi-Fi and over inflated egos and dictatorship.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Maybe an exageration, but if you want a mint one and with the exchange rates as they are against the Yen, you are far too low and I am probably high.

Virtual plane crashes are harmless, a little controversy is a good stimulus. I hate bland, whether hi-fi or forums. For me you can have opinion and talk about product as much as you like, the problem comes when it turns to ad hominem i.e. the subject is the person not what they are saying. That happens all the time at forums and at some is largely perpetrated by the owners and moderators. Here it seems you largely stick to the subject so that is great.

Gerry wrote:

Richard

P3a for £15,000!! You can pick them up for about £2.5-£3k plus shipping etc. At Current exchange rates.
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a slow motion plane crash Wink
Neal
It has all the signs of doing so. Fasten your seat belts.....

Regards
Gerry
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

not exactly honeyed words mister Bunsen ...

Its a little known fact that when one of the herd (of elephants) is sick and dying, the rest of the gang rally round, nudge push, try to help, whisper silly and irritating jokes in the poorly elephant's ears in the hope that at least this will rouse the old chum from his terminal sloth. Sometimes even sexual activity is tried too; get the old loins working again and its only fifty miles to the next water hole what could be better than a stroll through the gentle Namibian sunshine today!? But if the old chum is not rousable, after a time, the gang quietly say Dasvedanya to their old droog and move on. Elephants do grieve too.

This is sort of what we do at our meetings. I'll give you an example, though not related to the record players you mentioned. In my simple way I liked what I heard and that Techy was rather good. But I digress.

No, I had an ongoing 'spriment with a rather odd pair of speakers (rather like at Eggborough). The gang recieved me warmly and tried hard to appreciate the fabulous dynamic range, the clarity, the extraordinary sounds that were coming from the boxes. Gentle attempts to cajole, snap me out of my deathlike trance, small encouragements, 'Anna will be pleased, these can go in the bin.' and so on gave over to being left solitary in my endeavours. The gang set off for the fifty feet trek (to the bar) and I died.

'corse I got better.

But we don't take the piss, seriously, though we do have a larffff and I enjoy the company and,

some wise soul explained what a 'troll' was, a propos of an earlier posting. We don't do that either.

It seems to work.

million thanks to Steve; we could do this more often though.