Cleaning your records with VODKA

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 Cleaning your records with VODKA

Post by Toppsy »

Lynn has just been watching the TV program How Clean is Your House.

The person having her house cleaned had a large record collection and it was recommended (and demonstated) they be cleaned with a solution of Triple Distilled Vodka and distilled water. 2-egg cups of Vodka to 1/2 pint of distilled water.

This was brushed onto the records in a circular motion and dried with a anti-static kitchen cloth. Then left in a rack to fully dry. The disc treated looked like new.

Might try this on my Disco-Antistat.

Anyone tried this?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Did they actually try playing it?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well NO.

Which is why I have asked if anyone here has actually done this with good results.

The woman presenter on the program did say that the results were as good as any prfessional record cleaner.

Perhaps I'll try it on an old and out of favour LP. If it ruins the LP can always take the program makers to task.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So the vodka is a solvent that then evaporates, the distilled water makes it go further. A vacuum cleaner (of appropriate size and shape is still to be recommended though, Shirly!

I've even used washing up liquid (detergent) amnd distilled water. It worked remarkably well but I'd be very thoughtful before using anything simple on a treasured LP.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I would use a drop or two of a proper liquid soap like Cousins (spelling) hand wash, not w-up liquid it has salt in it mixed with distilled water, I would avoid alcohol of all types of records.

-- Andrew
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Andrew wrote:I would avoid alcohol of all types of records.

-- Andrew
But not stop drinking it while listening-eh ? :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

What a shocking waste of good alcohol :shock: :lol:
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Always sounds better after a double.

I use washing up liquid with a micro cloth and finnish with a steam cleaner, works wonders on scatches. :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Hold on, what sort of brush? Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I use washing up liquid with a micro cloth and finnish with a steam cleaner, works wonders on scatches.
Well since i've got nothing to lose and some grubby old records.
I'll put one in the dishwasher towards the end of the cycle(the steam bit), and see what becomes of it.

looking forward to this. :)
Much to learn there is.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Well here's what I use a an old turntable turned by hand the crevice tool with some felt on hook it up to the Dyson :shock: A drop VPI cleaning stuff some De-ionised water job done http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_ ... e_ID=11340
And one of these http://store.acousticsounds.com/enlarge ... e_id=13269
then relax and enjoy to the music and drink the vodka :D
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Okay, so the dishwasher really isn't the way to go. :shock:
Much to learn there is.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Photo required please :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well, just out of interest I did actually try out the Vodka cleaning suggestion to clean some second-hand LPs I bought from Chester market.

I used the vodka and re-ionsed water solution in my Disco-Antistat machine and though the records did come out nice and shiney looking. However, when played there was still a lot of surface noise from the dics as before they were cleaned. There was no build up of dirt on the stylus though which indicated it did at least remove the dirt from the grooves.

In the end I re-filled the Disco-Antistat with the supplied cleaning fluid and re-cleaned the records in this. The end result a clear winner. All the surface noise (well almost all) was gone and the records sounded much inproved.

So for me the Vodka cleaning is not a winner and I agree with most peoples sentiments it is much better in a glass with some ice and a mixer.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

This is the not unexpected result of placing a seven inch single in the dish washer for the full 120 minute cycle. The camera came free with something hence the poor quality. But you get the idea.

An LP was also put in there for the last ten minutes. This survived the experience but didn't really come out much cleaner. Fingermarks were still there.
Much to learn there is.