401 Plinth

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

shane wrote:Fakedeck in it's current incarnation uses a separate armboard about 4"x8" in 20mm italian slate. If I hold it in the middle and tap it, it rings at about 400Hz. Not for very long, but definitely a ring.
Interesting. Anyone know a source of cheap contact microphones or similar to investigate this a bit further?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
Interesting. Anyone know a source of cheap contact microphones or similar to investigate this a bit further?
Piezo-electric contact pickup as used on an Acoustic guitar or the like?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

From what I understand Slate from different areas have different properties, and Welsh Slate was supposed to be the "best" for what we need.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Good idea Dave.

Phil, yes, I know thats what we have been told, but maybe it would be nice to see if it works out in practice.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

pre65 wrote:From what I understand Slate from different areas have different properties, and Welsh Slate was supposed to be the "best" for what we need.
How do you know - did someone tell you - what are those properties?

Just seems like more marketing bullshit to me.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And if only, Mr Bunsen, I could actually get down to it, I'd cut the beautiful green lakeland slate I have and I predict, there would be no audible difference due to the type of slate used. I appreciate that different slates have different densities blah blah, and I know I found some interesting slate in Namibia that could almost be called shale, but slate is slate and ....

only one way to find out.

My sceptical eyebrow rose when I heard the claim that only north welsh slate was the best.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
pre65 wrote:From what I understand Slate from different areas have different properties, and Welsh Slate was supposed to be the "best" for what we need.
How do you know - did someone tell you - what are those properties?

Just seems like more marketing bullshit to me.

came from Darren who was producing Slatedeck plinths at the time, could be bullshit, Nick's idea to test them sounds good
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

And I do have a suitable piece a quarter of an inch thick of said lakeland slate and then how much would it matter what it was coupled to?

Someone with time and sense needed, please!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IIRC there was quite an on-line 'full and frank exchange of ideas and comments' over on the old Lenco Lovers forum (R.I.P) between Darren and a chap that both produced slate plinths, Darren of course used Welsh Slate and the other chap (I think) used Pennsylvanian.

The outcome?.... pfffftttt .... as ever, just words on the web.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Gerry
User

Post by Gerry »

I'll try to find it, but on one of the forums there was someone who had done a fair bit on this and his conclusion was that he felt a lighter plinth was better. I think it might have been VE.

I can't remember what slate he had tried, I do remember Darren getting uppity as it was not his Welsh slate which was different to all others (other Welsh mines too!).

Needless to say the out come was he preferred a light ply (or something) base as opposed to a heavy damped one. I'll try and find the thread.

Regards
Gerry
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Searching on the interweb I can find lots of references to the fact that slate properties can differ depending where it comes from, but nothing about comparing those properties.

Obvious differences are colour and hardness and perhaps the thickness of the layers.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Non sensical!
You haven't met Andrew, have you?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I was trying to explain that earlier ! We all know Andrew and when Andrew posts it's like him standing in front of me saying those words(I think DTB said the same at Owston) and so it means I understand him. (and most of the other regulars I hasten to add.)

Bunsen on the other hand,is a new boy here, and we only have his written word to go on as he does with us.

Anyway this is turning into a very interesting thread.

Edmund Burke

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

pre65 wrote:I was trying to explain that earlier ! We all know Andrew and when Andrew posts it's like him standing in front of me saying those words(I think DTB said the same at Owston) and so it means I understand him. (and most of the other regulars I hasten to add.)

Bunsen on the other hand,is a new boy here, and we only have his written word to go on as he does with us.

Anyway this is turning into a very interesting thread.
You are bizarre, why do you have this constant infatuation in turning things personal.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well this forum is composed (active membership that is) of people who are friendly and known to each other. So we dont exist here in a totally impersonal setting.

Edmund Burke