Transformer Inductance

Assorted info that will be of use, spec sheets, docs etc. Non informational postings will be removed.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Transformer Inductance

Post by Mike H »

How To Measure The Inductance Of A Transformer

Where LCR testers and DMM's with an LCR feature can't do it (show weird results / can't cope with the high inductance etc., or you don't possess such a device in the first place).

What you need:
1. A 5V heater mains transformer (or could use 6.3V).
2. A multimeter or DMM capable of measuring AC microamps & milliamps.

What you do:
All secondaries of transformer under test must be left open-circuit!

Set meter to AC microamps range. Or to be safe start with millamps range first, just in case.

Switch on the heater transformer (connect to the mains to make it work [test output])

Connect test transformer primary and meter in series across the 5V terminals of heater transformer.

Set meter to AC microamps range. If transformer is large, should show next to nothing on milliamps range.
Note if a split bobbin mains type, there may be losses i.e. a 'magnetization current', showing a higher reading than would otherwise be expected.

But we're assuming we're testing an OPT of some description, so that won't apply.

Write down the meter reading, as an example, 160 uA.

You know the Voltage, 5V.

Ohms law next: 5V / 0.000160 (A) = 31,250 Ohms

You know the frequency, 50 Hz.

Using a reactance chart, or the formula: R / F / pi / 2

... you can get the inductance. A rough 'pi' is 22/7

31,250 / 50 / pi / 2 = 99.4318 Henries

This is the incremental inductance, the primary only with no load on the secondary(ies).

You can then go onto loading the secondary(ies) with dummy load resistor(s) to find the equivalent primary impedance(s), the same procedure but needs a correspondingly higher range on the meter obviously.

This is 5V / current reading, same as Ohms law test above.

Seemples! Image

From Wireless World article

PS: a 10 Henries choke would measure as 1.56 mA AC

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Nice one. But it changes with frequency so to be sure of corect findings for estimating bass performance use a sign wave at 20hz and adjust F in the formula.

As it says leave secondary open. If you short secondary you are measuring leakage inductance. Crudely but satisfactorily for our purposes.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Quite so, but it's a easy test for those who don't have signal generators and suchlike.

I was considering mentioning leakage inductance but, that gets complicated; you short the secondary(ies) and get a much smaller inductance, which I think leads to more complex test gear needed like a sig gen and 'scope and such to find out about it. Don't think you can do it using that test, but haven't tried it. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

As you say.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein