What to sit the turntable on

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Samantha
User

#1 What to sit the turntable on

Post by Samantha »

Hi folks,

No idea if it makes any/much difference, but someone commented about my turntable being sat on glass.

I have a stands unique stand which is sturdy enough (10mm glass) and the Gyrodeck sits on the top. No isolation platter or anything, but the TT has its own suspension etc so I assume all is good. It sounds pretty fine to me anyway!!

However, what are people's thoughts on material to stand a TT on?

Wood?
Marble?
Glass?
Something else?
Doesn't matter?

BTW - I know people seem to always go for turntable shelves, but not practical for me - will have to remain on the stand, but I am open to experimentation if there is something to be gained.

I have no complaints over how it sounds, but it is quiet on here so a bit of discussion can't hurt.

Sam
Lee S
Old Hand

#2 Re: What to sit the turntable on

Post by Lee S »

Samantha wrote:Doesn't matter?
IMHO, this is the one for me!! As long as it is sturdy and level. I went from a Phase 4 Mana to Stands Unique to an Ikea Lack and many inbetween with my Gyrorbe and heard absolutely no difference. I have cloth ears though, so others may tell you otherwise. Due to current living restraints my GL88 lives on the floor. Sounds damn fine to me. ;)

Cheers
©2020 Lee
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I (personally) think this is a real grey area, the idea that suspensions mean that what they stand on doesn't matter went out of the window for me after putting a couple of sheets of marble under my LP12.

But it may be what makes my Sp10 sound good, may be a disaster for your table. I would suggest finding your nearest memorial mason, and getting a cheap bit of stone from them. Put it under your table, if it sounds the same, stick with what you have, if its different, then you know the support matters, then its all down hill from there.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Maybe it is less obvious under 'tables with suspension OR 'tables with huge, massy plinths.
©2020 Lee
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

I have Orbe platter etc on my deck too - so hopefully that means no matter and I can stick with simplicity. 8)

To be fair, the chap I bought it from delivered and set it up for me and he said the only thing that may be holding it back is the cheap and cheerful phono stage I use - but that can wait!!
martin213
User

Post by martin213 »

Hi Samantha,
At the 1st Withamfest Petercom brought along some flat-pack tables he bought from Ikea,think they may've been pine,£9.99 each.
They certainly did have some effect,worth a try at the price i would think.

Kindest Regards

Martin