Jazz at the Pawnshop

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Jazz at the Pawnshop

Post by andrew Ivimey »

For some of you this will already be known. For those who don't know about this recording ....

After the last 'meet' I set about finding a copy. I tried a couple of vinyl versions on eBay but didn't win so thought, 'sod it!' and bought the SACD anniversary deluxe boxed set; 3 CDs plus bonus(!) interview CD.

Even if you don't like this kind of jazz, this recording is utterly superb; holographic imaging or what! you can't help but be drawn in to the 'live' smoky atmosphere and foot tappingly enjoy the music. Cor!

SACD ain't bad, the vinyl version ain't bad. The original recording is extraordinary and you can really hear / feel it no matter what medium youise to listen to it. Blimey!
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Good, innit? :D
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

IME, best on OB's as they excel at atmosphere and that recording has atmosphere by the shedload!

BTW, swapping my Mullard (Mazda) GZ34 in place of a Sovtek makes a crazy amount of difference too with the Bugle but that's another story.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Jazz at the Pawnshop

Post by colin.hepburn »

andrew Ivimey wrote:For some of you this will already be known. For those who don't know about this recording ....

After the last 'meet' I set about finding a copy. I tried a couple of vinyl versions on eBay but didn't win so thought, 'sod it!' and bought the SACD anniversary deluxe boxed set; 3 CDs plus bonus(!) interview CD.

Even if you don't like this kind of jazz, this recording is utterly superb; holographic imaging or what! you can't help but be drawn in to the 'live' smoky atmosphere and foot tappingly enjoy the music. Cor!

SACD ain't bad, the vinyl version ain't bad. The original recording is extraordinary and you can really hear / feel it no matter what medium youise to listen to it. Blimey!
Hi andrew
Well I'm a blues fan but as you can expect it’s a natural progression in to jazz/ jazz blues I know what you mean when you say atmosphere the sense of being there can be magical I am not that well up on the jazz stuff but want to find out more on it
I have downloaded some jazz from The jazz website and listened to the radio the jazz channel 0113on sky just to get a idea on what I like and that seems to be bluesy drums/bass piano sax stuff plus female jazz vocal like the tracks black coffee erallfits Gerald’s id rather go blind as for who's who in jazz world I don’t know apart from some of the greats like Coltrane/ monk/ miles Davis /sonny rollings
I would like to find out more can you post up some artists names and download links 8)
Cheers
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've no idea about download links because I just don't know about that sort of thing.

If you Google Jazz at the pawnshop, it won't take long to find appropriate info and websites, surely.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would like to find out more can you post up some artists names and download links
Not the part of Jazz I know much about, but maybe Diana Krell would be a good place to look

http://www.dianakrall.com/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Oh yes, I've just bought her double LP

I love the style of this woman,
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

shane wrote:Good, innit? :D
Finally acquired a vinyl copy with my Xmas money, well worth it, a real treat, even my jazz ambivalent better half likes it, thank-you Shane....
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

There were some brilliant recordings on the Proprius label. Some are still available on vinyl, but they concentrate now on CD and SACD. ( http://www.proprius.com/index.asp ).

My other favourite is Cantate Domino, a collection of Christmas choral music. The recording of Stille Nacht is one of th most moving musical expeiences I've ever had.