Denon DL110 alternatives

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
theoldtrout
User

#1 Denon DL110 alternatives

Post by theoldtrout »

I have a Rega P3 [the new model] fitted with a DL110 that is due for replacement. I've worked my way through quite a few DL110s over the past 20 years in various Regas and like the sound it gives for the money.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar priced [£150] cartridge in the Rega as I lost touch with what is out there? A useful feature of the DL110 is the high output for a MC so suits my all valve set-up.

I'm probably answering my own question here!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Why not try getting one of the DL's retipped? Expert Stylus may have some suggestions of changes they could make.

http://www.isurrey.co.uk/profile/247408 ... tridge-Co/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Expert are definitely worth a ring, I found when the £ tanked it pushed the cost of a new cart up high enough to make a rebuild financially worthwhile, I also found I liked what they did too, but one chap I know wasn't so sure; perhaps a case of system synergy.

-- Andrew
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

have a look at the benz micro mc20, i had the low output version and was very happy with it, there is also a high output version at the same price, around 130 quid
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Possibly:

http://www.musonic.co.uk/cartridges-nagaoka-c-4_22.html

Either MP150 or even the boron MP200 version. Though I believe 'boron cantilever' is a common misnomer, much more likely a coating on the stylus. I've got the old version MP20 in my Rega RB 250. Both those high output. Styli are replaceable. Interchangeable even.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
theoldtrout
User

#6 Thanks

Post by theoldtrout »

Many thanks for the suggestions, it has given me some alternatives to think about.
DSJR
User

Post by DSJR »

A late reply, but an AT440MLa may be worth a punt now the £ is climbing back a tad...

Does the Rega have the fixed motor or the suspended one? if the latter, I'd do this before thinking of a different cartridge, as the speed stability is very much better..
Tucker99
User

Post by Tucker99 »

DSJR wrote:A late reply, but an AT440MLa may be worth a punt now the £ is climbing back a tad...
I concur re the AT...but what about the Dynavector 10x5, although I am probably moving up the price point a bit...