Rossendale meet anyone?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Paul Bannister
User

Post by Paul Bannister »

Colin,

Just wanted to say thanks for the listening session and especially for your hospitality. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and certainly the different projects provided ample food for thought.

Regards,
Paul
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes indeed, and thanks for the beer and pizza as well Colin :-).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Many thanks for yesterday Colin - 'twas a grand session.

Pleased to see you got home safely Paul - you travelled a fair old distance there and back.

Chris :D
Paul Bannister
User

Post by Paul Bannister »

Yes, 'flew' back in 2 1/2 hours!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi guys,
t'was a good afternoon and evening, I enjoyed it a lot.

Paul,
glad you had a easy journey home. Your 300b monoblocs are really very nice indeed and the cases look superb. You should post some piccies of them to give us all inspiration on how one can achieve a great copper finished chassis.

Nick,
your new 211 amp is a winner I think. Look forward to seeing the boxed version.

Chris,
the squeezebox with the new power supplies and dac really do gel together. I'll have to give this type set up some serious thought in the new year.

I was especially pleased the performance of the MLTL speakers. With the 211 and 300b amps they sounded really nice indeed.

Happy new year to all

Colin
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes, specially impressed with the DAC, I have just ordered one myself.

Those new speakers are rather nice though.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote:Yes, specially impressed with the DAC, I have just ordered one myself.
I was going to suggest, sometime next year having a cooperative go at a DAC design, but I see you are now sorted. But then again I have plenty to do so it might be 2009 before I get even close to a DAC.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, having ordered this, doesn't preclude any other stuff, though I might have to do a bit of reading first to see how it all works.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

The Beresford seems a good a place as any to start on the DAC trail.

I've been studying some of the ones out there, but only in a shallow sort of way.

I started on phonos with the Cornet, must sell the thing sometime, been an interesting journey over the last 3 or so years

cheers,

-- Andrew
Paul Bannister
User

Post by Paul Bannister »

I was very impressed with the tvc's + buffer stage. I listened to the pre I currently have on trial and I believe your solution is providing a tighter more distinct lower register.

I would like to build my own and have taken up Colin's offer of a parts list. I have tracked down thread 1859 'D3a linestage'. Is this the only thread dealing with the buffer stage?

I am seriously lacking when it comes to circuit development - being better at construction and engineering. I realise this is my own shortcoming but would appreciate any help available to allow me to make my own buffer (and accompanying tvc.). Nick, is the circuit you have posted in the above thread the final version or do you have a latest diagram I could use?

Sorry for all the questions - but I want to hear that clarity again!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Thats about as it is. I use the same value resistor for the feedback and input, that gives it a gain of about 0.9 times. Depends on the gain structure you need, judging how the 300b's were yesterday, I would guess you don;t need a pre with gain.

I will try and sketch up the power supply to go with it.
Paul Bannister
User

Post by Paul Bannister »

Thanks Nick, it's much appreciated.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

The parts list for buffer was posted here:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... c&start=45