Vinyl Musings

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Where to start?

Post by pre65 »

[quote="floppybootstomp"

In fact I recall the first 'real' hi-fi I bought, or what I considered it to be at the time, was a Rotel 10 watt per channel receiver; Pioneer PL12D turntable fitted with a Shure 75EJ cartridge and a pair of Wharfedale Denton loudspeakers.

[/quote]

About par for the course at the time !

Anyone here who did not own a PL12D ? (apart from thems thats too young. :wink: )
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Where to start?

Post by colin.hepburn »

pre65 wrote:[quote="floppybootstomp"

In fact I recall the first 'real' hi-fi I bought, or what I considered it to be at the time, was a Rotel 10 watt per channel receiver; Pioneer PL12D turntable fitted with a Shure 75EJ cartridge and a pair of Wharfedale Denton loudspeakers.
About par for the course at the time !

Anyone here who did not own a PL12D ? (apart from thems thats too young. :wink: )[/quote]
Well Me I never had a pl12D But I did have one of these rotel jobs
http://www.monkey.com.au/images/listings/11469.jpg
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Where to start?

Post by Mike H »

floppybootstomp wrote:Nagaoka jumping backwards or forwards? A good point (I think :scratch: ) forwards I suppose otherwise it would be permanently stuck in a jump, er, wouldn't it?
LOL yes it would Image

But I don't think you mentioned it playing the same bit over and over (unless I missed it)

Just that if jumping forwards, suggests not enough anti-skate, if backwards, too much. (Could also mean turntable not completely flat)

Get the AS right, has a better chance of "staying put". Still depending how bad it is of course

That's the trouble with the Naggy you can't crank up the tracking weight to make it stay in the groove. As you pointed out I believe

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Replying to a few points:

I guess the stylus jumped forward. But as I mentioned since using the Shure 35C at 4.5 grams I've only had one jump so far.

DTB mentioned that not all vinyl sounds better than CD's. Yes, I've noticed this, a person has to shake off all bias and trust to one's ears, nothing else.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of some CD's.

The albums I have I always looked upon as tools rather than music for personal enjoyment, so to speak, and at the majority of bookings I played rock music so almost exclusively used albums.

Cueing them not with headphones but with a keen eye and a torch ;)

Dancy do's, weddings and the like, were the opposite, nearly all singles, mostly 7". Which I still have, boxes of them, not quite sure what I'm going to do with them, doesn't seem to be a market for those. I have recorded a lot of them to digital.

Dave, I have read the relevant servicing thread at the Lenco Heaven forum and will probably print it out when I start, very helpful. Seems to have been written by one of our colonial cousins from across the pond though so some of the cleaning and lubricant products mentioned are only available in Uncle Sam's back yard and not here in Blighty so I didn't know what some of them were.

But I'm an intelligent fellow, educated by the state and forced to consume condensed orange juice, malt and cod liver oil through childhood so I expect I can work things out :D

Thanks for letting me know about the spacer. I'm actually working Tuesday and Wednesday (shock horror) so will probably start butchering, er, servicing, the Lenco on Thursday or Friday.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Bit of an update.

I've been using the Goldring GL75 in DTB's home made plinth and Decca pivot arm still using the Nagaoka MP11 cartridge with new stylus.

DTB gave me the deck, plinth and arm and I'd just like to say in a kinda official forum type thingie capacity: Thank you, Dave.

I've been working my way through all my vinyl and noting which ones jump and if I have any that are unsalvageable.

Which means I've been using this setup a great deal and am absolutely thoroughly enjoying it.

The only album which seems to be past the point of no return is my 'Super Hi Fi Pressing' of The Beatles' Abbey Road.

A couple of things I've noticed:

1) Since using the Goldring/Decca many vinyl platters that jumped using my Hitachi HT-350 DD t/table now don't jump.

2) Cleaning some albums with the cleaning liquid and brush thingie DTB linked to earlier in this thread also prevented jumping in some instances.

In fact very few of the 280+ albums I now have jump at all which is very pleasing. I have the Nagaoka tracking at it's maximum recommended weight, 2 grams.

Since I last commented on this forum about the speed problems I was having with the Goldring I had to overcome another speed prob. After speeding the thing up with various adjustments, after a few days the deck started running fast. I figure it was perhaps loosening up after being inactive for some time.

I had also cleaned the bits that matter with some fine emery cloth and I guess the whole thing was sortta settling in and finding it's mark.

To overcome the increased speed I just made a few backward adjustments. Took a bit of trial and error but I got there eventually. Am now starting to feel somewhat knowledgeable about this Goldring deck ;) I do know we didn't repair them to this level of fastidiouness when we fixed 'em for the GLC, before it got to this stage they'd probably get slung in the recycling bin (groan).

I recently found my A & R P77 cartridge but the stylus is bent at a most awkward angle. I do also remember storing this back in the day as I knew the stylus was worn out. So - worth trying to find a replacement stylus?

I've had a brief search but have been unsuccessful so far in tracing a supplier so does anybody know where they're stocked? If they're stocked at all, that is.

I'm still in the market for a Denon DL110 cartridge but as I find myself borassic atm it'll have to wait.

Anyhow, DTB, thanks again, I haven't had so much fun since Uncle Reg fell on the live rail at Dunton Green railway station.
Last edited by floppybootstomp on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

How about Goldring Lenco GL75 ?

But we all know what you meant. Glad to hear you are enjoying your vinyl Tony.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

pre65 wrote:How about Goldring Lenco GL75 ?
Oh bugger :D :oops:

I have edited it, don't know where my head was at, heehee
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Hmmm...

I tend to scour charity shops for records. Many of them cost less than £1, so, even if they sound awful, I can make novelty hats with them (melt them with boiling water, mould them to a dish).
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

My pleasure Tony, glad you put it to good use and are enjoying it.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

A guy on lenco had his p77 re-tipped and he likes it very much.

He's on here now too, maybe he'll see this?
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Graeme wrote:A guy on lenco had his p77 re-tipped and he likes it very much.

He's on here now too, maybe he'll see this?
Unfortunately the stylus managed to become bent during storage and it's suspension is knackered so it's a replacemnt or nowt.

But thanks for the info.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

id suggest an ortofon 2m red instead of the p77, i heard one recently while looking for a cart to use on the sonus formula 4/jbe slate turntable. it was very good for the money, theyre available for about 80 quid. i didnt buy one, only because my sl15 sounded much better. as it should. but i suppose it depends how borassic you are. (constantly so for me :D )
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

floppybootstomp wrote:I've been working my way through all my vinyl and noting which ones jump and if I have any that are unsalvageable.
Sounds like maybe it needs backing off on the anti-skate :?:

Or it's not exactly level, leaning to the left or back?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Mike H wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:I've been working my way through all my vinyl and noting which ones jump and if I have any that are unsalvageable.
Sounds like maybe it needs backing off on the anti-skate :?:

Or it's not exactly level, leaning to the left or back?

But as I mentioned I do have very few that actually jump. And the only knackered one so far is Abbey Road. As the greater majority of my albums were used as 'tools of the trade' in a mobile disco for many years I'm not surprised a few jump.

A lot of the jumps that occurred were traced to a tiny bit of crud stuck to the vinyl surface and in each case I carefully removed it, solving problem.

The turntable is level, which is something of a fluke as I didn't need to make any adjustments.

The arm is adjusted so that it is horizontal when the stylus rests in a groove and the cartridge is also at 90 degrees to the playing surface. These two adjustments took some considerable time and frustration to set up but they are now so.

Those two adjustments were irrevocably linked to the playing weight which is at precisely 2 grams if this little balance thingie is to be believed.

As for the anti-skate adjustment, this is adjusted by moving a magnetic ring which is placed around the arm's pedestal. I have not a clue how to set it up properly so I set the arm to zero grams pressure then twisted the anti-skate ring until the arm did not have a tendency to wander either backwards or forwards.

That seemed kinda sensible to me but as I said, I really have no idea.

Thanks for the input, today I picked up a cheap copy of The Captain's 'Bluejeans & Moonbeams' on vinyl which is the only mainstream recording of his I didn't have on vinyl. Not one of his best but it did satisfy the completeist nerdy side of me.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Well that all makes sense, just a thought. Usually the anti-skate has a scale related to stylus pressure, if not, then should at least be able to return the arm from the inside to outside, but only if it's set for zero tracking weight! I.e. balanced level so stylus won't crash into the mat. Beyond that it's suck it and see :D