Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16456 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Car keys. Bit of a sore point for me today. I've spent the last 14 months or so living with my partner in Kirkcaldy, though I still have my place in Galashiels. Been gradually moving my stuff across, and was over in Gala today picking up some bits.

On the way back had gotten a few miles on my way back when I felt something knock against the side of the car and felt the back wheel run over something. I saw something tumbling on the road in the wing mirror. Got a couple of miles further along and stopped at a layby to check for any damage to the car from the knock I'd felt, couldn't see anything, but when I got back into the car, a message came up on the screen saying "No key, restart not possible". Hmm says I, that's a bit strange. Thanks be to the driving Gods, I'd left the car running as I checked round it, as I then searched my pockets and the car for the keys (It's a push button start) to no avail- keys were missing.

It then struck me what must have happened- what I'd seen in the wing mirror were indeed my keys. When I'd gotten into the car in Gala, the keys must have fallen out of my pocket and gotten trapped in the bottom shut line of the door by a thin plastic fob attached to my keys, as I'd shut the door..

Turned the car around and went back the way, after a couple of miles I spy what did indeed turn out to be my keys lying in the road. Squashed.

When I bought this car it only came with one key, so I'd bought a metal cover to encase the fob to keep it in good order. This now looked like you'd imagine after being run over, possibly more than once as there were other cars passing.

Got back in the car and tried to lock it with the fob. Didn't work. Nothing on the fob worked. the case was mangled, enough so that I could pull it apart and extract the fob. Amazingly it appeared to have little or any damage, aside from the fact that it no longer bloody worked, so once the car is shut off I can no longer start it. New key required. From BMW. On a Bank Holiday. You really couldn't make this shit up...

Luckily the BMW app lets you lock and open the car..
Nick
Site Admin

#16457 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:30 pm How does steering feel compare between them?
The Mx is a bit faster to turn in, but the standard soft springs let it down as once its started turning it leans a lot (and I guess the extra weight up front adds to that). The Porsche is a lot more composed. They both let you know whats going on well enough. The Mx has a 320mm suede covered wheel now, so that makes the Porsche feel a bit more like a wagon.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16458 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Nick. The MX has a very good rep for handling on the road from what I read (As does the Boxster of course). Would love a Boxster but I think it would become wearing as a daily driver, the MX would be better in that respect.
Neal
Shed dweller

#16459 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

I did similar a few years ago, left my ipad (oh yes) and house keys on the top of my car, dove about half a mile and heard something, difficult to describe, fall from the car, 2 and 2 didnt compute…it was my keys but I didn’t find out until 5 miles later when I got home to my utter surprise an ipad clinging to the roof of my car by its magnetic cover! Keys lost but ipad fine!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16460 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Well at least I'm not the only one. :-)
brig001
Old Hand

#16461 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by brig001 »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:03 pm Car keys. Bit of a sore point for me today. I've spent the last 14 months or so living with my partner in Kirkcaldy, though I still have my place in Galashiels. Been gradually moving my stuff across, and was over in Gala today picking up some bits.

On the way back had gotten a few miles on my way back when I felt something knock against the side of the car and felt the back wheel run over something. I saw something tumbling on the road in the wing mirror. Got a couple of miles further along and stopped at a layby to check for any damage to the car from the knock I'd felt, couldn't see anything, but when I got back into the car, a message came up on the screen saying "No key, restart not possible". Hmm says I, that's a bit strange. Thanks be to the driving Gods, I'd left the car running as I checked round it, as I then searched my pockets and the car for the keys (It's a push button start) to no avail- keys were missing.

It then struck me what must have happened- what I'd seen in the wing mirror were indeed my keys. When I'd gotten into the car in Gala, the keys must have fallen out of my pocket and gotten trapped in the bottom shut line of the door by a thin plastic fob attached to my keys, as I'd shut the door..

Turned the car around and went back the way, after a couple of miles I spy what did indeed turn out to be my keys lying in the road. Squashed.

When I bought this car it only came with one key, so I'd bought a metal cover to encase the fob to keep it in good order. This now looked like you'd imagine after being run over, possibly more than once as there were other cars passing.

Got back in the car and tried to lock it with the fob. Didn't work. Nothing on the fob worked. the case was mangled, enough so that I could pull it apart and extract the fob. Amazingly it appeared to have little or any damage, aside from the fact that it no longer bloody worked, so once the car is shut off I can no longer start it. New key required. From BMW. On a Bank Holiday. You really couldn't make this shit up...

Luckily the BMW app lets you lock and open the car..
Mine has a key inside to lock and unlock the door, also there is a chip inside and you can hold the key next to the steering column and start the car. Check the manual to see if yours is the same. Assuming that bit isn’t damaged of course

Brian
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16462 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks, mine is the same, already checked it. No dice.
Nick
Site Admin

#16463 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:25 pm Thanks Nick. The MX has a very good rep for handling on the road from what I read (As does the Boxster of course). Would love a Boxster but I think it would become wearing as a daily driver, the MX would be better in that respect.
Maybe about the wearing side. Depends on age. Later one with pasm would be more forgiving. You would certainly burn less cash adding miles to Mx5. Porsche folk seem to have a odd obsession about low millage which is odd given the build quality. Mx probably simpler choice for home servicing as well without a lift.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16464 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes. Much as I like the Beemer, I do find the firm suspension annoying at times on the crap roads we all have to drive on. On smooth tarmac it's excellent, but how much of that is there about?
Nick
Site Admin

#16465 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Hmm, I think we may also have different definitions of what firm means. Though having adjustable dampers helps a lot.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#16466 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

A one of a kind for you petrolheads...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 109097129/

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16467 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:27 am Hmm, I think we may also have different definitions of what firm means. Though having adjustable dampers helps a lot.
Yes there’s firm for the road and firm for the track. :-)

Adjustability would be good, can tune to my taste
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16468 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Old news, but still worth repeating for those still using Eagle:

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusio ... ectronics/

Time to move on
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16469 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Interesting/left-field use of a turntable to calibrate an anemometer!!!

https://www.edn.com/a-groovy-apparatus- ... anemometer
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#16470 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Had an eventful few weeks.. not stop decorating/ renovations / fitted laminate flooring at my daughters
Just got finished on Tuesday night.

We set off on our holidays wed evening in lesleys car for a change, only to find the automatic gearbox started playing up once we got into leeds. pulled into the hotel parking bay with (luckily ) a plan to go out for a meal. The bloody car would not to into reverse! We was stuck.. rac was delayed snd I was wondering how we'd get to the airport at 6.am the next day

In desperation I must have tried selecting reverse about 80 times .. the car would not push .. and I could not drive forward due to the wall in front, proper stuck!

I kept trying reverse then after about an hour and a half there was loud bang and it went into reverse ... what a relief
I turned the car round and hoped it would get us to the airport, I didn't sleep much at all, so during the early
hours we set off and the car got us to the airport parking

The car has only done 22k it was the last thing we expected to go wrong
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number