A little known Stephie amp I’d not noticed or forgotten.

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 A little known Stephie amp I’d not noticed or forgotten.

Post by Paul Barker »

I’ll just link you through to JACMUSIC for the hosting. ….. If you want youre brains fried try to get youre heads round this low powered recistorless capacitorless amplifier.

Have a study of the link please?

So what do I have I could build it with? Single channel.

Well the input load is a choke 50h. I have a few grid chokes, so with two inseries I’d have two levels, very quiet, and as loud as possible in two steps. So thats the input sorted. Mybe in the small hours I’ll be glad of the quiet step.

I have the VR tubes. I can probably find a suitable power transformer. Valve rectifier. i have a 5k opt. I could wind the 100h power supply choke. I could use the hammond bifilar choke for the interstage.

I dount have the right valves and theyre shockingly expensive today. So I’ll use the ideas and adapt to what I have. Like some not quite as high transconductance Russian valves that remain cheap. Maybe I could adapt it to triode connected el84 output.
The feeding forward triode bias setter for output stage idea would be employed its a bit of a fidle juggling the driver and the output triode with the positive grid valve. But I cant imagine more fun.

Anyway it is a brain fry understanding it but not impossible to adapt.

Its my idea of fun. If I really enjoy the mono version I can specify a pair of power transformers to make two monoblocks.

https://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/SBE ... rc_pa.html
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: A little known Stephie amp I’d not noticed or forgotten.

Post by Nick »

I am going to remember Thumpers father and say next to nothing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.