Streaming problem

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

#1 Streaming problem

Post by shane »

For various reasons, 99% of my listening these days is streamed from two platforms. I use Qobuz for pop, rock, jazz etc and Idagio for classical, but I haven't been able to find a way to access them both in a seamless manner.

To listen to Qobuz I have PiCorePlayer with LMS running on a Raspberry Pi 4B with a HiFiBerry DiGi2Pro HAT feeding the DAC of my Quad Vena. This works very well using iPeng on my iPhone to control PiCorePlayer, and makes me happy. Sadly though, LMS doesn't have a plug-in for Idagio. According to Idagio their service can be streamed through devices from Sonos, Bluesound, Burmester and Nativ, or otherwise via Bluetooth, Chromecast or Airplay from a phone, so currently I have a plugin for Airplay active on LMS and use that, since I dont have a Chromecast and Bluetooth is a nightmare.

The problem is that using Airplay means streaming through the phone, which means that every time the phone does anything else that makes a noise, the music is cut off and the sound from whatever the phone is looking at takes over. I then have to go back into iPeng to re-start the stream. Also, every time I sit down for a music session on Idagio I have to start the music on the phone then switch to Airplay after the music has started. Also, the stream has to come from router to phone and back to router before being fed to the Pi, which seems like a waste of effort and a potential vulnerability, when with Qobuz the stream goes directly to the Pi with the phone only giving it instructions. Finally, the process of switching iPeng back to Qobuz from Airplay is very clunky and often causes crashes.

It doesn't look as though anyone's going to write a plugin for Idagio on LMS any time soon, and I can't afford to invest in a Bluesound or similar streaming device which would be able to handle both platforms.

Any suggestions?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Streaming problem

Post by Nick »

Start with a open existing plugin for lms. Look at what interface the service you want offers and try and hack one together.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Streaming problem

Post by shane »

Not sure my skills are up to that! It would certainly be a steep learning curve…
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Streaming problem

Post by Nick »

Had a look, cant see a API def or any documentation about Idagio. I don;t know what platform you are using LMS on, but maybe you could get the waveinput plugin to work for you?

https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ ... lugin.html
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#5 Re: Streaming problem

Post by shane »

LMS and PiCorePlayer are both running on the Pi, so there’s no PC involved. Might be possible to plumb in a spare Lenovo thin client, but I’m not sure it would be much of an improvement over the current setup. Thanks for looking though!
Ant
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Streaming problem

Post by Ant »

The wiim mini i have has idagio as part of its 'roadmap', but im not sure it does idagio yet. It does qboz as far as i remember, they arent particularly expensive at around 80 quid. It does support airplay though, Maybe worth a look?

Ive been perfectly happy with it, but i havent invested in digital. I just run it through the e30 dac rather than its single ended output. How it would compare in terms of sound quality with your existing setup i couldnt say
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
shane
Social outcast

#7 Re: Streaming problem

Post by shane »

That looks promising, if they go ahead with it.