EL84 p-p Resurrected

What people are working on at the moment
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by Mike H »

_

Running on the sideboard (not literally) .....
-
EL84 p-p Amp 006C-3.jpg
EL84 p-p Amp 006C-3.jpg (166.15 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#17 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by izzy wizzy »

Have enjoyed reading the resurrection journey.

Hope it sounds as good as it looks. EL84s have a good reputation.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by Mike H »

I think it's alright. For some while I've been using the PCL86 spud (it's been to Owston at least twice), and it's very nice (Mazda valves from Langrex), however the EL84 p-p has better detail, I think, and the bass is somewhat more powerful. Not surprising versus the relatively low inductance OPT's of the PCL86.

The Zeners arrived today (by DHL), so put them in. I plugged it all back together then wondered why it wouldn't work. It's plugged in, it's on, it's got a signal, but nuffink coming arht...

Sirry irriot! Didn't put the valves back in...
-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#19 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I can't think of any excuse for that.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by Mike H »

There isn't. :lol:

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#21 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by andrew Ivimey »

:joker:
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: EL84 p-p Resurrected

Post by Mike H »

Bijou update-ette ..... I have added a modest low pass RC filter to the inputs to knock the treble down just a gnat's whisker, else it can be a bit too hard on the hearing (tinitus hovers!) – 'cause I'm using super-tweeters in a small room? I did the exact same with the PCL86 spud, for exactly the same reason (same speakers, same room).

It's merely 1k into 10nF, giving —3 dB @ 16 kHz (LTspice), initially resistors were carbon film, yeah it does the do, but PCL86 spud's are tantalum. I was curious would there be any discernible difference if I did the same here, but hadn't got any spare to try so ordered a few tants from HFC, arrived yesterday, installed today...
-
Low Pass Filter cct-3.jpg
Low Pass Filter cct-3.jpg (13.76 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
-

Difficult to tell of course if it's just imagination but I'm convincing myself they sound smoother. :D