My Swansong speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#76 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Ray,
Yes I just send them a dxf file. I can do the CAD drawing work for you and save as a dxf. All I need from you is some sketch with all the dims on.
Seems post Covid lockdown they no longer deal direct with the public cold calling at the HQ in Darwen. However I can have a word with the workshop manager on your behalf and get a quote for CNC routing the parts for you in 18mm BB ply. I would have to collect the order from there premises, hang on to them and bring them to the next Owston meet.

Let me know if you want to pursue this option.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#77 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 pm ...I can have a word with the workshop manager on your behalf and get a quote for CNC routing the parts for you in 18mm BB ply. I would have to collect the order from there premises, hang on to them and bring them to the next Owston meet.
That's very kind of yu Colin, I might just take you up on it.

I've already done the basic CAD drawings in AutiCAD, just as flat 2D drawings so things like the holes and tranches are just outlines - would that be enough to work with?

Cheers
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#78 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Ray P wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:37 pm
I've already done the basic CAD drawings in AutiCAD, just as flat 2D drawings so things like the holes and tranches are just outlines - would that be enough to work with?
That should be sufficient. Can you email me a dxf copy via the forum and I'll check it over. I might just add a new layer with some some dims on it for reference if you haven't done this.

If the CAD drawing is OK I'll get a quotation for the work. Usually takes a few days as my orders tend to be small in comparison to the usual commercial large order stuff they generally deal with.
Ray P

#79 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Cheers Colin. The stuff is on my old laptop so I'll dig it out and give it another check - I'll aim to post it over to you over the weekend.

Ray
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#80 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Scottmoose »

Not had any audio time (well, not for myself anyway) for a few days -looks a lovely bit of CNC machining they've done.

The FGC is probably about the best option for a relatively inexpensive sheet material these days. Assuming it's been made to good standards, it should be superior to MDF for bass enclosures, and not all that far off a quality void-free ply. You'd probably need to shift to a high grade bamboo ply of a like-thickness to significantly improve on it (these things still being relative), and if you think birch ply is expensive...
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#81 Swansong speaker - the actual build begins

Post by Toppsy »

I have been busy since picking up the cut panels and machined all the internal braces and openings in the rear baffle for the Hypex amp unit and the binding post mounting plate. Today I machined all the slots for the #20 biscuit joints and have assembled and glued up one speaker. The other speaker will be assembled and glued up tomorrow.

I was initially hampered with progress as I discovered the 70mm through holes for the CHN-50 drivers were not large enough. These were cut to the manufacturers install drawing but the mounting plate with the gold plated spades fouled the opening. I guess the opening size was based on folk using relatively thin baffles and not the 25mm baffle for this build. So I had to make up a routing template and cut a notch to clear the spades. The photos below should highlight this issue and the fix.

And here the one glued up speaker.

The remaining side panel will be glued in place after I have added the internal damping/lining and installed the wiring.

EDIT.
Forgot to mention that I decided to thicken up the front baffle for the rather heavy Scanspeak bass drivers so added and made up a couple 18mm doublers from off-cuts spare from the beam saw cutting.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by pre65 »

It's good to see you are progressing Colin. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#83 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Dave the bass »

Multi-shoddy!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#84 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Glad you appreciate a master at work, hey :wink: :lol: Speakers go together so much easier when you have all the panels CNC cut for you.

Been busy since last I posted. I now have one speaker cabinet finished and ready for veneering. The other cabinet is on the gluing up table.

The sheets of Decoflex veneer should be arriving sometime this week. When Lynn and I discussed what to finish these rather largish speakers we both agreed that Birds Eye Maple with a sprayed on gloss clear lacquer finish would look stunning. 8) Unfortunately when I made enquiries with the UK importer/supplier of the flexi veneer panels to ask for prices per 8'x 4' sheet, I was told the manufacturer did not do that veneer in the flexi panels only on ready veneered ply/mdf/chipboard sheets. :cry: So we had to settle for second best with Crown Cut Maple. Still should look rather fetching with a gloss lacquer finish.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#85 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by IslandPink »

Coming along fast !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Andrew
Eternally single

#86 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Andrew »

Looking good, Colin :)
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#87 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:42 pm Coming along fast !
Mark, I find with me that if I let a project drag on I tend to lose the enthusiasm and then struggle to return to it making every excuse I can think of to not complete the build. So I have to strike whilst the iron is hot, so to speak and I am still quite enthused to hear what these sound like, so I'm pushing as hard I can go, pending awaiting delivery of outstanding orders placed online and being careful not to make mistakes. I suppose being retired also helps as I have loads of free time on my hands.

Scott is coming over to Topps Towers this bank holiday Sunday, with a view to taking some measurements of the midrange array and tweeter. So these last couple of days I've been busy temporarily mounting the drivers on the fully built bare wood cabinet and wiring up all the drivers ready for Scott to take his measurements. He can then go away and do his magic to design the passive filter for these drivers. The twin bass units will be driven by the Hypex amp and tweaked using the built-in DSP to blend in with the passive units.

The sheets of Maple veneer have now been delivered but I'm hampered to progress the covering due to delays in delivery of the veneer glue :(

Some photos below:

The keen eyed will note the tweeter and bass drivers have not been rebated flush with the baffle. These will be done post veneering, though the jury is still out whether I will rebate, or not, the bass drivers. What does the panel think? Rebate the bass drivers as well or leave flush?
Last edited by Toppsy on Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray P

#88 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:41 pm What does the panel think?
I wouldn't hold your breathe for an answer... :D
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#89 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

You're probably right Ray, but it'll be a lot easier if they are suface mounted since i won't have to make a routing template to cut the rebate. I already have a template for the Beryllium dome tweeter so this is not an issue and needs to be rebated flush being surrounded by the midrange array drivers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#90 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:01 pm
Toppsy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:41 pm What does the panel think?
I wouldn't hold your breathe for an answer... :D
They look OK as they are Colin, but would they look better rebated ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)