General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#361 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

With your bees, knees and biltong, it's a wonder you have time for any exercise !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#362 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Not to mention ...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#363 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm Not to mention ...
Oh yes, and that. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#364 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:45 pm With your bees, knees and biltong, it's a wonder you have time for any exercise !
..and a new business...

Bees have been very busy. First extraction of year next week. The hives have been on a couple of HUGE farms in apple orchards. 250,000 trees. Bonkers.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#365 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

Now I'm approaching 65 I had my Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm screening today - I'm unremarkable.

Coupled with the ultrascan monitoring of my heart last year I'm reasonably confident of my general health in that area.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#366 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

Was that a CAC scan ?
I keep wondering if i can just get one of those by phoning up for an appointment and paying money.
it would be good, bearing in mind my family history.

But good news Ray, all's well, it seems.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#367 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:34 pm Was that a CAC scan ?
No Mark, they use ultrasound scanning...

I received an invitation for the free scan from the NHS because of my age.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/abdominal ... screening/
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#368 Re: General health matters

Post by vinylnvalves »

Ray P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 pm
IslandPink wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:34 pm Was that a CAC scan ?
No Mark, they use ultrasound scanning...

I received an invitation for the free scan from the NHS because of my age.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/abdominal ... screening/
I have had a CAC scan, wasn’t called that by the NHS, to see if granulomas were in my heart, fortunately just limited to my lungs, which have now gone. My condition plagues me with calcium deposits currently, with pseudo gout last year and a deposit on my cuboid bone ( foot) currently.
andrew Ivimey

#369 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

My understanding is CAC is a CT scan of the heart looking fir calcium plaque, debris and other things that shouldn't be there.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Paul Barker

#370 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

My mental health has nose dived. I secured a job working for a local engineer. After about 6 weeks he rang out blue “im going to have to let you go” all done and dusted.

Its for the best because he isnt as competent repairing boiler neither is my mate I personally trained 20 years ago, who is his leed engineer. The pair f them are both effectively conmen, selling new boilers in circumstances where I would fix their boiler.

There was a shocking example, in which owner had been and said you need a new boiler, my mate Ian had been and completed the sale. I was never sent to it. But I was sent with the new vaillant to replace the 7 year old vaillant. So as I was not sent to di*nose but to install, and not knowing anything that had gone on, as an employee I dutifully slung old boiler out the front for scrap man. Fitted new boiler. Fired it up, no hot water coming out of taps and a bangng noise. My ear told me it was a system fault not a boiler fault. Had to cut back out of a kitchen unit, found a non return valve fitted wrong way round. (Most likely kitchen fitters responsible.) I was fixing this situation when the lady walked in. She said “I kept telling them, thats where the noise was coming from!” She knew there and then she had been conned. There was nowhere to hide. All I could do was agree with her. I also said to her, they never sent me to fix youre issue so I had no knowledge it wasnt in the boiler. Scarp man had taken the perfectly good vaillant, and my employer still charged her. She badgered me to extinction about it, so I coached her not to pay, it was a mis selling situation. “ If you dont pay he will take you to small claims court, you just have to put in a counter claim, explain what happened. “ in the event she paid up.

I cant work for a man like that. No wander hes making a ton of money and im always poor. i fixe vertually everything, he sells boilers.

But its sent me into a nose dive! Ho hum.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ant
Shed dweller

#371 Re: General health matters.

Post by Ant »

I had a similar situation a long time ago, i was working for a small insurance company who will remain nameless, who, decided that a policy i put together for someone which was fully in line with all regulations was 'too cheap'.

They wanted me to add 200 quid onto the policy to bring it just under the quotes that the person had already had. No reason whatsoever, other than that they could make 200 straight profit. I refused, went to the branch manager and complained about the strike i got for refusing, and was told to do as i was told.

Decided then and there that they could piss off with that, put 13 policies i had on my desk through that were also perfectly in line with all regulations and 'too cheap', then left without a word.
I got a lot of angry voicemails that stopped very quickly when they got a visit from the ombudsman
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#372 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

I had a similar situation a long time ago
I don't think the two situations are equivalent. In Paul's case they had been sold something that they didn't need, and in fact didn't fix their problem. I would argue that Paul was "let go" because he didn't act in his employees interest. If he had walked away after fitting the new boiler, the customer could have refused to have paid for the new boiler, or if already paid, claim for the return of the money and then seek a different plumber to fix the actual problem. But that would depend on what the conversation before the sale was, if they bought a new boiler, then they got what they paid for, if they bought a fix for their problem, they didn't.

In Ants case, the product they were selling was (I assume) fit for purpose, and it was a just a question of price. Just about all of selling is based on selling something for as much as possible to get the sale. That's just the way the world is.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#373 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:31 pm
I had a similar situation a long time ago
I don't think the two situations are equivalent.
They're both ethical dilemmas.

I one case, someone was "let go", in the other, they "walked".

Regardless of the contexts, similar issue (IMHO).
Nick
Site Admin

#374 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

They're both ethical dilemmas.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean they are equivalent.
Regardless of the contexts, similar issue (IMHO).
IMHO, not, one was purely a pricing issue, the customer was offered (I assume, Ant didn't say) a product that suited their requirement and a price that included a profit margin for the seller. The fact that the profit margin was > 0 was neither here or there in terms of ethics. The customer was able to decide if they wanted to purchase or not and the issue was only one of price. In Paul's case the product that was supplied did not fit the customers requirements (assuming those requirements was for hot water instead of just a new boiler). This would have been the case whatever the price charged.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#375 Re: General health matters.

Post by jack »

We'll have to agree to disagree - for me, a high level view is that these are essentially similar ethical issues. YMMV.