Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Max N
Old Hand

#481 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Max N »

simon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:11 pm Hi again Max, hope you didn't find my previous reply too curt, it wasn't intended.
Not at all Simon. Sorry I’ve been out planting some trees which is why I didn’t reply sooner :D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#482 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

Hope the ground has more moisture where you are Max, it's bone dry here. Never mind the pots we're having to water the borders before things keel over.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#483 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm Yes I get that Ali and they probably justify that move in part because everyman and his dog used to misuse red diesel. It was more why Phil seemed to make a big thing about tax revenue being generated by the powering of ev's given it's the logical step if consumption of petrol starts to fall off (and how that was in any way connected to red diesel).

As an aside I note that Le Mans 24 was powered by synthetic fuel this year.
My brother in-law manages a private power station for a manufacturing site. Apparently it’s cheaper to buy gas and generate your own electricity. They have a backup generator which runs off diesel, whey have 2 bunds of red diesel that they cannot use now. The company owner wants my brother in law to see what it would cost to transport it down to the south coast for his yacht. ( As all Tory voters, who sail or play golf aren’t affected by the changes....what a surprise)

Many years ago I worked with a guy who applied for a patent to liquefy domestic gas to use in cars in place of LPG. The patent came back with his application fee, with a note saying it was rejected by the HMG, on the grounds of tax. He had an old Volvo converted to run off the gas with a big tank on his car roof. His idea wasn’t viable from a safety perspective... at the time I was working at the British Gas Engineering Research Station, so he should have known better too.
Nick
Site Admin

#484 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

The patent came back with his application fee, with a note saying it was rejected by the HMG, on the grounds of tax.
Well, it seems it didn't stop others.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8250883B2/en

I can imagine the implementation may involve Tax considerations but by preventing the patent, I don't see how in any way it prevented it from being done.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

#485 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Max N »

simon wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:54 pm Hope the ground has more moisture where you are Max, it's bone dry here. Never mind the pots we're having to water the borders before things keel over.
It’s not so bad here fortunately, but I will have to water these new trees for a while. They’re wild cherry, so I also need to keep the aphid-farming ants off them for the first year. After that they seem to become resistant. Either that or some ant/aphid predator becomes established and then things reach an equilibrium
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#486 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 pm
The patent came back with his application fee, with a note saying it was rejected by the HMG, on the grounds of tax.
Well, it seems it didn't stop others.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8250883B2/en

I can imagine the implementation may involve Tax considerations but by preventing the patent, I don't see how in any way it prevented it from being done.
I cannot remember the details it’s over 30 years ago. I can remember him moaning about it in the office. If it was an implementation patent, where he specifically mentioned cars. Yes liquified natural gas wasn’t anything new, were were importing it from Algeria in the 60’s, into the isle of grain.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#487 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm Yes I get that Ali and they probably justify that move in part because everyman and his dog used to misuse red diesel. It was more why Phil seemed to make a big thing about tax revenue being generated by the powering of ev's given it's the logical step if consumption of petrol starts to fall off (and how that was in any way connected to red diesel).

As an aside I note that Le Mans 24 was powered by synthetic fuel this year.
It was more a reply to Phil as he didn’t seem aware. :-)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#488 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by IslandPink »

As an aside, I assume one or two of you must have seen Max Chilton driving his naughty little sports car at Goodwood this weekend ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#489 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I have now :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#490 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:22 pm

There seems to be fear and doubt associated with the idea of tax, not sure why TBH.

Not sure how what I said and what you said was connected there?
[/quote]

It was to do with the tax aspect of red Vs road diesel.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#491 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by IslandPink »

Get ready to be scared. 149mph average :
( ps. not sure if dust counts as an 'emission' )

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
brig001
Old Hand

#492 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by brig001 »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 am ( ps. not sure if dust counts as an 'emission' )
Particulates from brakes and tyres certainly do:
https://deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2019/07/ ... nd-brakes/

Brian
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#493 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

I recent study suggested that EV cars produce - more harmful tyre particles than other comparable vehicles, as their additional weight, and low speed power results in tyres wearing faster. With an argument being put that from pollution damaging to health, they are worse than a car generating CO2. It was referenced on BBC news - I just cannot locate it now.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#494 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Brake pad wear should be a lot lower for EV cars with regenerative braking though...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#495 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by simon »

It perhaps depends somewhat on driving style? I've had 40k miles out of front tyres, and 75k out of a rear - the other got a puncture.