Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14356 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Advice wanted and warning..
Last Month I sent a parcel with an 8 channel dac to someone. I sent it UPS via parcel monkey. They couldn't deliver as couldn't find the address, and returned it to Parcelmonkey. I have evidence they received it, but in the 3 ensuring weeks it hasn't been returned to me. They only have a chat function customer service department, and in the last week havent replied to my chats asking for an update.
How do I proceed... If they won't communicate, small claims court?
The warning - don't use them, even though I have used them for 10 years, the true colours only show when something goes wrong. UPS cannot help as they did as instructed.
Ant
Shed dweller

#14357 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Managed to get a cheap quick change toolpost for the md65 lathe yesterday. Not meant for it, but i need to build in some rigidity.

The 65 bedplate isnt like the usual fare of a pair of ground in rails on a cast iron bottom section, it has a cast baseplate bolted to a cast headstock, and an offset d shaped bed which the carriage runs on which is fixed into a plate on the end of the baseplate. Both the carriage and tailstock run on this d shaped rail, the leadscrew runs parallel to this and also goes into the headstock and plate at the other end.
As such, there is a some deflection downward as the cutter is under load because the carriage is mounted offset from the cutter contact point.
With the top slide sticking out towards the headstock from the cross slide, it deflects in 2 directions.

I dont really need the top slide very often, so the plan is to take the top slide off and fit the new quick change toolpost to the top of the cross slide and remove one point of flex.

The original toolpost is abit crap, it tends to loosen itself slightly and cause a bit of chatter so the new in will eliminate that as its the type where the holder slots onto a vertical dovetail and is locked on by a horizontal cammed plunger. The tool holders have a height adjuster so the correct cutter contact height can be dialled in too.

This will allow larger dimension tooling to be used so abit more flex can be dialled out.

Ideally i would like to work out some way of supporting the carriage on the unsupported side, but as it and the baseplate are cast aluminium, id have to do some clever machining to fit some sort of hardened steel sliding surfaces to the bottom of the carriage and the baseplate.
Which would mean completely dismantling the entire thing. My milling machine could just about do the baseplate, but its a rough casting so where i could take a reference surface from is not clear.
Just musings on that bit..

All this is to try to get a better surface finish out of it, which the extra rigidity of removing the top slide and fittimg the new toolpost should help towards.
If i could just find a replacement second pulley and tensioner i could have access to the higher speeds which would also go some way to helping the surface finish. Seems to be a rather difficult part to find.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14358 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Just come back from a brief visit to the Cranage Audio show.
Made somewhat briefer by being stuck for 45min on the M6 almost from the doorstep of my mum's house when I started. Serve me right for not checking on Google every bit of the M6 that I was going to use.

Saw Nick, Andrew , Ali and David B there. They were just going off for another booze-up when I made my excuses.
Nick's room sounding great , another step up now, with the perspex OB's there.
I need to make more time for it next year.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Michael L
Old Hand

#14359 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm Advice wanted and warning..
Last Month I sent a parcel with an 8 channel dac to someone. I sent it UPS via parcel monkey. They couldn't deliver as couldn't find the address, and returned it to Parcelmonkey. I have evidence they received it, but in the 3 ensuring weeks it hasn't been returned to me. They only have a chat function customer service department, and in the last week havent replied to my chats asking for an update.
How do I proceed... If they won't communicate, small claims court?
The warning - don't use them, even though I have used them for 10 years, the true colours only show when something goes wrong. UPS cannot help as they did as instructed.
I see they stopped responding to Twitter and FB in 2020. Did you already find their address?
Parcel Monkey Ltd,
21 Tollgate,
Chandlers Ford,
Eastleigh,
SO53 3TG,
United Kingdom

I don't know whether 'Resolver' could help. https://www.resolver.co.uk/
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#14360 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I will give you all the help you need vis a vis small claims .

But you will need a current postal address an old one is no good . If you can’t find a trading address you ain’t going to get paid .
Nick
Site Admin

#14361 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

That address is the current one at companies house.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#14362 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Not if you are aware they are no longer trading at all or from that address.

The companies house database doesn't reflect up to date reality and as such cannot be used as proof of service on correct address
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14363 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

On their web site it says,

Contact us by Post
Parcel Monkey Ltd, Unit 620 Fareham Reach, Fareham Road, Gosport, Hampshire, PO13 0FW, UK
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#14364 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm Not if you are aware they are no longer trading at all or from that address.

The companies house database doesn't reflect up to date reality and as such cannot be used as proof of service on correct address
companies house may only have the details from the last 'annual return', now called 'confirmation statement'...it could be up to 12 months out of date, or longer if they're naughty boys.

I'm so glad you raised this as I forgot to file mine and I've just put it in(1 month late)...we'll see if there is a penalty. They used to send a reminder, but it seems that has gone by the way now...progress eh!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Michael L
Old Hand

#14365 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

This is where I saw their address - maybe old, maybe new

https://www.complaintsdepartment.co.uk/ ... monkey-uk/

Some interesting and possibly useful info in the comments.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#14366 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Youve probably now got enough info to prove service for it only to be an issue if the defendant filed an objection . If he did he would have to provide relevant info so ultimately it wouldn’t matter the worst that could happen is you would lose your initial service fee.

You haven’t got enough to know if they can pay you , you may have to take a punt .
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14367 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

I will keep you informed with Parcel Monkey... if the Chandlers Ford is an old address, they had it returned to a dead address, no wonder they cannot find it. I have now filled in a claim form after threatening them with the courier ombudsman. I am betting UPS will come back and say we did what parcel monkey asked, so no blame on the courier. I don’t care about that, I asked for the parcel to be returned to me, not them - so it’s on the company, we even know who signed for it. So if that person doesn’t work for them, they should know that.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14368 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

I have already printed off the couriers tracking data, should it mysteriously vanish off the system.
Ant
Shed dweller

#14369 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

New toolpost came today
All nicely made, everything there, as it should be
Predictably there are problems.
First, the central bolt is an m10. I have a couple of m10 taps, and predictably, none are the right pitch. A dormer 10 x 1, noticed some chipped off edges, so no point getting a different bolt. A 10 x 1.75 monkey metal one, not using that.
Good job i got the pitch gauge out, its a 10 x 1.5.
So went to get the correct tap from the local engineering place.
Predictably i couldnt buy just one. They only had sets of 3 with the different profiles. 20 quid... and a size i very rarely use.
Next, the bolt is too long, if i drill and tap the top slide then thread it in it will interfere with the leadscrew.
So, it will require a shim, which is fine. I can either shim it under the toolpost body, or between the top of the body and the bolt head. So i thought id use some nominally m10 washers so i could shim it under the bolt head to see how big the shim would need to be, and test fit it.
Nominally m10, advertised as m10 on the bag, actually 9.3mm. So they wont go over the unthreaded part of the bloody bolt.
I dont want to cut the bolt down i case i need to raise the toolpost up higher when i test fit it, but i cant test fit it without cutting it.

Ill have to find something in the spares box with the correct thread and see if i can bodge something up.....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#14370 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Can't you drill out the M10 washers to 10mm. Might be the simplest thing to do.

M10x1.5 is the standard M10 pitch, so £20 for a set of taps seems pretty reasonable to me.

I sympathise with having to fork out for something you may only use once... my Landrover has a mix of metric and BSF, plus I believe the odd UNF/UNC. Basically whatever they had lying around in the factory. I've had to stock up on hardware I'll probably never yse.

I'm interested in your toolpost mods as I also have a Hobbymat MD65.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt